Title: FUNNY STORY
Constructor: Prasanna Keshava
Editor: Amanda Rafkin
Theme synopsis:
- GROCERY STORE (20A: Aldi or Ralphs, e.g.)
- TRY TO SEE IT MY WAY (39A: "Consider this perspective for a moment")
- VICTORY SPEECH (55A: Public address after a W)
FUNNY STORY: Each theme answer contains an anagram of the word STORY: GROCERY STORE, TRY TO SEE IT MY WAY, and VICTORY SPEECH.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
- COLE (5A: Nat King ___) Nat King COLE (1919-1965) was a jazz singer and pianist. In 1956, he hosted a variety TV series, The Nat King COLE Show, becoming the first Black performer to host a variety show. Nat King COLE died of lung cancer in 1965, but his music has remained popular. He had a posthumous hit with his daughter, Natalie COLE. In 1991, Natalie COLE recorded her father's 1951 hit, "Unforgettable," and mixed their vocals together as a duet.
- GROCERY STORE (20A: Aldi or Ralphs, e.g.) I appreciate clues such as this that give two examples, because solvers only need to be familiar with one of them to be successful. In this case, I am familiar with Aldi, but Ralphs is new to me. Ralphs is a GROCERY STORE chain in California. It is a subsidiary of Kroger.
- CLICKS (25A: Sounds from mice?) The question mark at the end of this clue alerts solvers to be on the lookout for wordplay. The mice in question here are not small, furry animals that make squeaking sounds, but computer mice that produce CLICKS.
- THAT (32A: "I Want It ___ Way") "I Want It THAT Way" is a 1999 song by the Backstreet Boys. The music video for "I Want It THAT Way" was the group's first music video to reach one billion views on YouTube, which it did in 2021. (It now has over 1.7 billion views.)
- TRY TO SEE IT MY WAY (39A: "Consider this perspective for a moment") Anyone else now have the Beatles' 1965 song, "We Can Work It Out" going through their head? Although it wasn't clued to the song, reading this phrase immediately had me singing, as this is the song's opening line. "TRY TO SEE IT MY WAY / Do I have to keep on talking till I can't go on?..."
- MESA (43A: City near Phoenix) MESA, Arizona is part of the Phoenix metropolitan area. From previous MESA clues this year I have learned that MESA is the home of Organ Stop Pizza, has a population of wild horses known as the Salt River wild horses, and is the home of the i.d.e.a Museum.
- ALIA (61A: "Blink Twice" actress Shawkat) The 2024 movie Blink Twice is Zoƫ Kravitz's directorial debut. The psychological thriller tells the story of a group of people invited to the private island of a billionaire tech mogul. ALIA Shawkat stars as Jess, one of the women invited to the island.
- RENO (64A: City that aptly rhymes with "casino") RENO, Nevada, located in the northwest section of the state along the Nevada-California border, is known for its casinos. Its nickname is "The Biggest Little City in the World."
- ANDRE (2D: "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" actor Braugher) ANDRE Braugher (1988-2023) portrayed Captain Raymond Holt on the TV series Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2013-2021).
- PEARL (9D: Mr. Krabs' daughter in SpongeBob SquarePants) On the animated TV series, SpongeBob Square Pants, PEARL Krabs is a teenage sperm whale who is the daughter of Mr. Krabs, the owner of the Krusty Krabs restaurant. Everything I know about SpongeBob Square Pants I have learned from crossword puzzles, and PEARL is no exception. I learned about her from the October 19, 2025 puzzle.
- ERIVO (21D: "Wicked" star Cynthia) Cynthia ERIVO portrays Elphaba in Wicked (2024) and Wicked: For Good (2025), the film adaptations of the musical Wicked. Pardon me while I go listen to Cynthia ERIVO and Ariana Grande sing "Defying Gravity."
- ARIA (31D: Solo for a prima donna) ARIA is making back-to-back puzzle appearances. We saw it yesterday clued as ["___ Code" (opera podcast))].
- GYRO (35D: Greek sandwich often served with tzatziki) Tzatziki is a yogurt and cucumber sauce popular in Greek cuisine. As the clue mentions, tzatziki is often served with GYROs, pita-wrapped sandwiches containing meat and vegetables.
- EARL (57D: British noble title) EARL is also making back-to-back puzzle appearances. We saw it yesterday clued as ["___ the Pearl" (nickname for basketball player Monroe))].
- Other clues and answers I especially enjoyed:
- IKEA (15A: Furniture chain known for its mazelike layout)
- LET'S HOPE SO (7D: "We'll keep our fingers crossed")
- I ATE IT (10D: Possible response to "What happened to the last slice?")
- HOT (29D: Like things that are trendy or spicy)
The word FUNNY in the title is acting as an anagram indicator. The letters of the word STORY are arranged in a FUNNY way. Thank you, Prasanna, for this enjoyable puzzle.
A note about comments: I welcome your comments on the blog! For one thing it's nice to know folks are reading what I've written. My goal for this blog has always been for it to be informational, conversational, and kind. I ask that you keep those goals in mind when commenting. Unkind comments will be deleted. Note that I am more likely to delete a negative comment if it is posted anonymously. (P.S. You can point out when I make a mistake – in fact, I appreciate that so I can correct it.)

This crossword is not up yet on the USA Today site (12:01 pm EDT)
ReplyDeleteIt is up now.
DeleteIs this the correct blog for USA Today for 7/31/26 by constructor David Steinberg?
ReplyDeleteHi Sally, your old Ohio friend/solver/reader/Willow fan here. Wanted to let you know: Andre Braugher was born in 1962.
ReplyDelete