July 30, 2026

Title: CAPSTONE

Constructor: Zaineb Akbar

Editor: Amie Walker


Theme synopsis:
  • AGE DIFFERENCE (3D: Features of May-December relationships)
  • COLD COMFORT (7D: Something that offers little consolation)
  • FRUIT OF THE LOOM (11D: Underwear brand whose logo is often misremembered as featuring a cornucopia)
CAPSTONE: The CAP (i.e. top word) of each theme answer can be paired with the word STONE to create a new phrase: STONE AGE, STONE COLD, and STONE FRUIT.

What I learned from today's puzzle:
  • OLIVE OIL (28A: Za'atar and ___ (classic pairing in a dip)) Za'atar is a herb blend central to Middle Eastern cuisine. As the clue informs us, za'atar and OLIVE OIL are mixed together and used as a dip. This combination is sometimes eaten with pita bread.
  • SIAMESE (34A: "Sagwa, the Chinese ___ Cat" (cartoon feline with a colorpoint coat)) Sagwa, the Chinese SIAMESE Cat (2001-2002) is an animated TV series based on Amy Tan's children's book, The Chinese SIAMESE Cat (1994). Sagwa, whose name means "silly melon" is part of a royal family of cats who reside in a palace and can write with their tales. Through Sagwa's adventures, the show teaches life lessons about family obligations and loyalty. My cat, Willow, is not a SIAMESE, but she appreciates this cat content in the puzzle.
  • EARL (41A: "___ the Pearl" (nickname for basketball player Monroe)) EARL Monroe is a former NBA player. During his career he played for the Baltimore Bullets (1967-1971) and the New York Knicks (1971-1980). His flashy style of play earned him the nickname EARL the Pearl. Add this to the list of sports knowledge I've gained from solving crosswords.
  • ARIA (27D: "___ Code" (opera podcast)) ARIA Code is a podcast produced by the New Jersey radio station WQXR in collaboration with Metropolitan Opera. On each episode, the show's host, Rhiannon Giddens, introduces an ARIA. After discussing the ARIA with a few guests, the ARIA is played. Although this podcast is new to me, I was able to infer the answer from its punny nature (which is quite clever).
Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • SALMA (18A: "Frida" actor Hayek) Frida is a 2002 biographical movie about artist Frida Kahlo. SALMA Hayek portrays the title character. Several scenes in the movie start as a shot of one of Frida Kahlo's paintings, which then dissolves into a live-action scene.
  • TLC (40A: "Waterfalls" girl group) "Waterfalls" (1995) is often considered the signature song of the hip hop group TLC. It was an international hit, topping the charts in many countries, including the U.S. where it spent seven weeks at the top of Billboard's Hot 100.
  • VIOLET (52A: Central character in Toni Morrison's "Jazz") Jazz is a 1992 novel by Pulitzer and Nobel Prize-winning author Toni Morrison. Jazz is the second novel of a historical trilogy, between Beloved (1987) and Paradise (1997). The novel is set in Harlem during the 1920s. VIOLET is a beautician. She is married to Joe, who shoots his teenage lover out of jealousy.
  • MOO (62A: Cow's greeting) This clue made me smile. I like the idea of a cow saying "MOO!" in order to greet me.
  • TAXI (2D: New York ___ Workers Alliance (drivers' union)) The New York TAXI Workers Alliance (NYTWA) was founded in 1998. Since 2011, it has been affiliated with AFL-CIO. 
  • FRUIT OF THE LOOM (11D: Underwear brand whose logo is often misremembered as featuring a cornucopia) In spite of what some people think they remember, the FRUIT OF THE LOOM logo has never included a cornucopia, only FRUIT and leaves. When many people share a false memory such as this, it's referred to as the Mandela Effect, so named because of the false memories experienced by some of detailed news coverage of Nelson Mandela's death in the 1980s, although he didn't actually die until 2013.
  • ISIS (30D: Egyptian goddess) ISIS was a major goddess in ancient Egyptian religion. She was believed to help the dead enter the afterlife, and was considered to be the divine mother of the pharaoh. Eventually she came to also be associated with fertility.
  • IIRC (50D: "Unless I'm mistaken...," in a text) IIRC = If I recall correctly 
A CAPSTONE, also referred to as a keystone, is a wedge-shaped stone at the top of an arch. During construction, it is the final piece placed, and locks the other stones into place. Today, CAPSTONE is a perfect theme to lead to a collection of STONE phrases. Thank you, Zaineb, for this enjoyable puzzle.

A note about comments: I welcome your comments on the blog! For one thing it's nice to know folks are reading what I've written. My goal for this blog has always been for it to be informational, conversational, and kind. I ask that you keep those goals in mind when commenting. Unkind comments will be deleted. Note that I am more likely to delete a negative comment if it is posted anonymously. (P.S. You can point out when I make a mistake – in fact, I appreciate that so I can correct it.) 

Comments