November 22, 2022

Title: FINAL QUESTION

Constructor: Rafael Musa

Editor: Erik Agard

Note about puzzle access: Well, for a bit last night it appeared the tech issues were fixed. But this morning, although the correct puzzle title and author came up, the grid did not load correctly. If you also had this issue, know you're not alone. The good news is that we know they're working on it and making progress. 

Theme Answers:
GOALIE MASK (17A: Protective item worn by some hockey players)
HAUNANI-KAY TRASK (41A: "From a Native Daughter" author)
STAY ON TASK (65A: Not get distracted)

Theme synopsis: The word ASK (a synonym for QUESTION) is the FINAL part of each theme answer.

Things I learned:
  • GORP (13A: ___ core (outdoorsy aesthetic)) GORPcore is a new term to me, and it took me a bit to uncover it, as I originally had "bahs" instead of BOOS for [2D: Cries of disapproval]. Jason Chen is credited for coining the term in 2017 in an article for The Cut (which is behind a paywall so I haven't linked to it). Think clothing from Patagonia, North Face, Teva, etc. that prioritize functionality and durability. This article goes into detail about the outdoorsy, GORPcore aesthetic, whose name is taken from the trail mix standard, GORP. 
  • KASHA (8D: ___ varnishkes (buckwheat-and-pasta dish)) KASHA is toasted hulled buckwheat that is often used to make porridge. In KASHA varnishkes, the grain is combined with bowtie pasta. KASHA varnishkes is a traditional dish of the American-Jewish Ashkenazi community.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • SCABS (20A: Scrape protectors) My first thought was Band-Aids, which doesn't fit. Aha, instead the clue is looking for the natural scrape protectors, SCABS.
  • TACO (31A: Food with a "de birria" variety) I have previously written about TACO de birria.
  • HAUNANI-KAY TRASK (41A: "From a Native Daughter" author) I learned about HAUNANI-KAY TRASK from the September 21, 2022 puzzle. She was an indigenous author and activist, and founder of the Kamakakūokalani Center for Hawaiian Studies at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. Her 1993 book, From a Native Daughter: Colonialism & Sovereignty in Hawaii is considered a foundational book about indigenous rights. HAUNANI-KAY TRASK died in 2021 at the age of 71. This obituary written by one of her mentees, Anne Keala Kelly (Kānaka Maoli), is a beautiful tribute.
  • KNEE (68A: Largest joint in the human body) This is interesting. I hadn't really given any thought to which joint is the largest. I might have said the hip joint, but the joint part of the hip is smaller than the KNEE.
  • RENE (72A: French philosopher Descartes) RENÉ Descartes (1596-1650) was a French philosopher, scientist, and mathematician. His work is considered foundational to the development of modern philosophy. You might recognize one of his most well-known philosophical statements, "cogito, ergo sum" ("I think, therefore I am").
  • EDM (6D: Genre whose D stand for "dance") EDM, or electric dance music, includes the genres dance-pop, house, techno, trance, drum and bass, dubstep, and trap. I first learned about EDM from the August 24, 2020 puzzle
  • PLANT (22D: Monstera deliciosa or philodendron) I was just musing about PLANTs this morning before I solved the puzzle. Many a house PLANT has died on my watch from neglect. 
    My PLANTs

    My husband used to say, "If you're a kid or an animal, you're lucky to live in our house, but if you're a PLANT, you take your chances." However, this is no longer true! I have now managed to keep a number of plants alive, and my plants are thriving - seen here on the beautiful new PLANT stand my husband just built for me. The thought I had this morning, is apparently, out of children, pets, and PLANTs, I can only actively care for two of them at the same time. Now that my kids are adults, I have the energy to care for PLANTs. I do not, however, have a Monstera deliciosa or a philodendron.
  • SKA (36D: The Maytals genre) The Maytals (who were known as Toots and the Maytals from 1972-2020) are a Jamaican SKA and rocksteady group that is credited with coining the term reggae. I learned about this group from the July 21, 2022 puzzle
  • ALAN (50D: Mathematician Turing) I have previously written about ALAN Turing

    Geography review:

    • ARAB (54A: United ___ Emirates) The United ARAB Emirates, often referred to as UAE, is a country in Western Asia. It is located on the Arabian Peninsula, and is a federation of seven emirates: Abu Dhabi (the capital), Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm Al Quwain.
    • ETNA (70A: Sicilian volcano) Mount ETNA is an active volcano, and is in an almost constant state of activity. Currently (at the time of writing), Mount ETNA is in a state of calm. Here's a link to a site that provides updates on ETNA's activity, if you're interested in monitoring its activity. 
    I must ASK you to BRACE YOURSELVES - We're going to be FASHIONABLY LATE! The two grid-spanning vertical entries were fabulous, and so fun to see. I enjoyed the theme as well, anchored by the grid-spanning HAUNANI-KAY TRASK. Thank you, Rafa, for this puzzle that was a fantastic way to start my Tuesday.

    Comments