August 20, 2026

Title: Getting Attached

Constructor: Steve Jopek

Editor: Amie Walker


Theme synopsis:
  • BOWLING PIN (17A: Alley target in a Wii Sports game)
  • LIGHTNING BOLT (40A: Flash seen before hearing thunder)
  • TICKER TAPE (66A: Classic parade streamer material)
GETTING ATTACHED: The last word of each theme answer is a way to ATTACH something: PIN, BOLT, and TAPE.

What I learned from today's puzzle:
  • UNA (27A: "___ corte de rosas y espinas" (Sarah J. Maas novel translated by Margara Averbach)) A Court of Thorns and Roses is a 2015 fantasy romance novel by Sarah J. Maas. It is the first book in a series of the same name. The novel has been translated to Spanish, UNA corte de rosas y espinas, by Margara Averbach.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • ARIA (1A: Phoenix Opera solo) Phoenix Opera is a professional opera company located in Phoenix, Arizona. You don't have to be familiar with the Phoenix Opera to figure out the answer of ARIA here.
  • YRS (31A: Trips around the sun (Abbr.)) As a matter of fact, today marks the day I have completed another trip around the sun!
  • OUR (35A: "Days of ___ Lives") The soap opera Days of OUR Lives, has been on the air since November 1965, which means it's just a couple of months younger than I am. Although the Days of OUR Lives has been on the air for almost my entire life, I've never actually watched it. 
  • MONAE (44A: "Hidden Figures" star Janelle) Hidden Figures is a 2016 biographical movie based on Margot Lee Shetterly's book Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Who Helped Win the Space Race (2016). The movie tells the story of three Black mathematicians who worked at NASA: Mary Jackson (Janelle MONÁE), Katherine Goble Johnson (Taraji P. Henson), and Dorothy Vaughan (Octavia Spencer).
  • SPHERE (47A: Vegas venue whose interior includes the world's largest LED screen) As its name suggests, the Las Vegas entertainment venue known as SPHERE is shaped like a sphere – a very large SPHERE (which is technically a geodesic dome). The outside of the SPHERE features 580,000 square feet of LED displays, the largest in the world. The interior of the SPHERE has a wraparound LED screen. The venue, which seats, 17,600 people, opened in 2023. Various groups have performed at the SPHERE, including U2, Kenny Chesney, the Eagles, and Phish. The SPHERE also offers the opportunity to experience an immersive 4D version of The Wizard of Oz.
  • CASTLE (59A: Home on a Kingdomino starting tile) Kingdomino is a tile-laying game in which players play the role of monarchs attempting to expand their kingdom. Each player's board starts with a CASTLE tile, which is built onto throughout the game. My husband and I enjoy Kingdomino and the related game Queendomino. Both games can be played with two to four players. We're always on the lookout for games that are good for two players, and these two games definitely fit the bill.
  • TICKER TAPE (66A: Classic parade streamer material) TICKER TAPE refers to strips of paper that ran through a machine called a stock ticker. These machines were used to transmit stock prices over telegraph lines. Used TICKER TAPE was repurposed as confetti, and was thrown during parades in New York City. Although TICKER TAPE parades are still held in New York City to celebrate significant events, TICKER TAPE is no longer used during the parades.
  • DRUNK (73A: "I'm ___ in the back of the car / And I cried like a baby comin' home from the bar") "I'm DRUNK in the back of the car / And I cried like a baby comin' home from the bar," is a lyric from Taylor Swift's song, "Cruel Summer." Although "Cruel Summer" was included on the 2019 album, Lover, it wasn't released as a single until 2023. 
  • ROONEY (2D: "Carol' star Mara) The 2015 movie, Carol, is based on Patricia Highsmith's semi-autobiographical 1952 novel, The Price of Salt. In the movie, ROONEY Mara played the role of Therese Belivet, and Cate Blanchett played the role of Carol Aird.
  • ACLU (4D: 6-Down that defends legal rights) and ORG (6D: 4-Down, e.g.) I'm always happy to highlight the nonprofit ORG., the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). The ACLU works to defend the rights of all people in the United States.
  • CASABA (22D: Honeydew alternative) CASABA and honeydew are melon varieties.
  • SAGA (32D: It's a long story!) The exclamation point at the end of this clue alerts solvers to interpret the clue literally. A SAGA is literally a long story.
  • GOYA (39D: "El Perro" painter Francisco) Francisco GOYA (1746-1828) was a Spanish painter and printmaker. El Perro (Spanish for "The Dog") is a painting that Francisco GOYA painted directly on his house, sometime between 1819 and 1823. The painting shows the head of a dog, which is almost lost in the vastness of the rest of the painting. Francisco GOYA did not intend for El Perro to be exhibited. However, to save the painting, and others in the house, from deterioration, it was transferred to canvas in the 1870s and moved to the Museo del Prado in Madrid, Spain.
  • NPR (56D: "All Things Considered" network) The NPR NEWS radio program, "All Things Considered," debuted in 1971. The current hosts of the show are Ailsa Chang, Mary Louise Kelly, Juana Summers, and Scott Detrow. "All Things Considered" highlights the news each day, providing analysis, commentary, and interviews.
  • UTAH (63D: State home to Bryce Canyon) Bryce Canyon, located in UTAH, is the centerpiece of Bryce Canyon National Park. The distinctive feature of Bryce Canyon is its abundance of geological features called hoodoos. If you've never been to Bryce Canyon National Park, I highly recommend it.
  • MIA (65D: "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" protagonist) The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement is a 2004 movie and the sequel to the 2001 movie The Princess Diaries. It is the continuing story of MIA Thermolopolis, the crown princess of Genovia. Anne Hathaway portrays MIA in both of these movies. There has been talk over the years of a third Princess Diaries movie. I would be in favor of that.
  • A couple of other clues and answers I especially enjoyed:
    • TEA (23A: Drink that might be served with crumpets)
    • ASK (50A: Write to Dear Abby, say)
I enjoy a category theme, and this is a fun one. I appreciate the transformation in the theme answers, by which I mean that PIN, BOLT, and TAPE have different meanings than "ATTACH" in the theme answers. Thank you, Steve, for this excellent puzzle.

A note about comments: I welcome your comments on the blog! For one thing it's nice to know folks are reading what I've written. My goal for this blog has always been for it to be informational, conversational, and kind. I ask that you keep those goals in mind when commenting. Unkind comments will be deleted. Note that I am more likely to delete a negative comment if it is posted anonymously. (P.S. You can point out when I make a mistake – in fact, I appreciate that so I can correct it.)

Comments

Post a Comment