Title: RANT BRIDGE
Constructor: Amie Walker
Editor: Amie Walker
Theme synopsis:
- RAN THE NUMBERS (20A: Crunched some data)
- CAR ANTENNA (38A: Auto accessory for AM/FM pickup)
- CARPENTER ANTS (54A: Insects that build nests inside wood)
RANT BRIDGE: The word RANT acts as a BRIDGE of sorts between two words in each theme answer: RAN THE NUMBERS, CAR ANTENNA, and CARPENTER ANTS.
What I learned from today's puzzle:
- TREME (8D: HBO series set in New Orleans) TREME (2010-2013) is a TV series that takes its name from a neighborhood in New Orleans. The show is set three months after Hurricane Katrina, and it tells stories of New Orleanians' lives in the aftermath of that storm.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
- HOP (1A: "One ___ this time" ("Cha Cha Slide" instruction)) DJ Casper originally wrote the song, "Cha Cha Slide," as a step aerobics routine for his nephew, who was working as a personal trainer. The song, which includes instructions for the dance such as "One HOP this time," became popular in the early 2000s, and is still played at many school dances, weddings, and sporting events.
- LOVER (15A: Taylor Swift album with "Paper Rings") LOVER is Taylor Swift's seventh studio album, released in 2019. It includes the song, "Paper Rings." "I like shiny things, but I'd marry you with paper rings."
- TITO (23A: Mambo legend Puente) TITO Puente (1923-2000) was a musician, songwriter, bandleader, and record producer known for Latin jazz and dance-oriented mambo compositions. One of his nicknames was "el Rey del Timbal" which means "the King of the Timbales." TITO Puente's most famous song is "Oye Como Va."
- MEOW (24A: "Hi, it's me, your cat") My cat, Willow, always has a lot to say. I definitely think her MEOWs sometimes mean, "Hi, it's me, your cat."
- MYA (49A: "Case of the Ex" singer who performed at Lilith Fair in 1999) Lilith Fair is a concert tour that took place in the summers of 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2010. It consisted solely of female solo artists and female-led bands. Lilith Fair was started in response to musician Sarah McLachlan's frustration with concert promoters and radio stations that refused to feature two female musicians in a row. In its initial three-year run, Lilith Fair raised over $10 million for charity. As the clue informs us, MYA was one of the Lilith Fair performers in 1999. MYA released her song, "Case of the Ex," in 2000.
- DINO (50A: Reptar or Yoshi, for short) Reptar is a DINO in the animated TV series Rugrats (1991-2004). Yoshi is a video game DINO who first appeared in Super Mario World (1990).
- SOS (68A: "Help us!," to ABBA) ABBA released its song "SOS" in 1975.
- HEARTS (1D: "Less than 3" symbols) It took me a beat (see what I did there...) to understand this clue for HEARTS. If you combine a less than symbol and the number 3, it resembles a sideways HEART: <3.
- OMAR (10D: Congresswoman Ilhan) Ilhan OMAR is the U.S. representative for Minnesota's 5th congressional district. Ilhan OMAR was born in Somalia, and immigrated to the United States with her family when Somalia was in the midst of a civil war. Her 2020 memoir is titled, This is What America Looks Like: My Journey from Refugee to Congresswoman.
- NAPSTER (11D: Music-sharing service for millennials, once) The music-sharing site NAPSTER launched in 1999. Following legal difficulties (copyright infringement), it shut down in 2001 and filed for bankruptcy in 2002.
- PARTY DRESS (29D: Evening shift, perhaps?) The question mark at the end of the clue alerts solvers to expect wordplay. The clue isn't referring to working an evening shift, but is using "shift" as a synonym of "DRESS," so the answer is PARTY DRESS.
- EVA (30D: "Casino Royale" star Green) Casino Royale is a 2006 James Bond movie starring Daniel Craig as 007. The movie is an adaptation of Ian Fleming's first novel, published in 1953. EVA Green portrays Vesper Lynd, a British Treasury agent and a love interest of James Bond.
- SADNESS (43D: Blue Pixar character) I enjoy any reference to the Pixar movies Inside Out (2015) and Inside Out 2 (2024). In the movies, the blue character of SADNESS is voiced by Phyllis Smith.
- TATTOO (47D: "Made your mark on me, a golden ___") "Made your mark on me, a golden TATTOO," is a lyric from Taylor Swift's 2017 song "Dress," which appeared on the album reputation.
- EDEN (57D: "The Middle" star Sher) The Middle (2009-2018) is a TV series about a middle class, middle-aged Midwestern woman, her husband, Mike, and their three children. EDEN Sher plays the role of Sue, the middle child. The character's name is actually Sue Sue Heck, as the hospital mistakenly wrote her name down twice, resulting in her first and middle names being the same.
- MCU (60D: Franchise that includes "Ms. Marvel" (Abbr.)) MCU stands for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Ms. Marvel is a 2022 Disney+ miniseries featuring Kamala Khan / Ms. Marvel (who I have written about previously).
- A few other clues and answers I especially enjoyed:
- ERR (14A: Say "I'm grood" instead of "I'm great" or "I'm good," say)
- MATEYS (44A: Pirate's besties)
- TUBAS (66A: Band instruments that don't fit in backpacks)
A RANT BRIDGE is a songwriting technique used by Taylor Swift and Jack Antonoff. Here's a video clip of Taylor Swift explaining this particular type of BRIDGE. Solvers don't need to know about RANT BRIDGEs in order to understand the theme of this puzzle; the mechanism of the theme is inferable. Thank you, Amie, for this excellent puzzle.
A note about comments: I welcome your comments on the blog! For one thing it's nice to know folks are reading what I've written. My goal for this blog has always been for it to be informational, conversational, and kind. I ask that you keep those goals in mind when commenting. Unkind comments will be deleted. Note that I am more likely to delete a negative comment if it is posted anonymously. (P.S. You can point out when I make a mistake – in fact, I appreciate that so I can correct it.)

Comments
Post a Comment