October 2, 2022

 Title: ROLL BACK

Constructor: Zhouqin Burnikel

Editors: Anna Gundlach & Erik Agard

Guest BloggerShannon Rapp


Theme Answers:

THATS A TALL ORDER (17A: "I'll see what I can do, but...")

FULL ORCHESTRA (27A: Symphony group)

PILL ORGANIZER (60A: Multiday, multidose medicine container)

Theme synopsis: All answers have the word ROLL spanning BACKwards through a phrase, thus the title "Roll Back"

Things I learned:

  • ZOEY (33A: "The Politician" actress Deutch) I didn't recognize her name but when I looked her up I realized that I know her from "Not Okay" and "Zombieland: Double Tap."
  • DOOM (21A: Doctor ___ (Fantastic Four foe)) Doctor Doom is a comic villain who can manipulate energy and electricity. He has been seen in many iterations of comic books, movies, television series, and video games since his first appearance in 1962. 
  • AKITA (41D: Spitz breed with catlike feet) I admit, I had no idea what this clue meant. Cat-like feet? It's true! Described as "well-knuckled" with "webbed toes to help walk on snow", they sure do look like kitty paws! Look how cute :) 
from https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/akitas-10-facts-that-will-surprise-you/

Geography Review:
  • BALI (5A: Island two miles east of Java) Bali is home to the gorgeous Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary which is part natural rainforest, part primate reserve, and part Hindu temple complex
  • OHIO (13A: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame's state) 2022 Inductees include Carly Simon and Dolly Parton
  • OSLO (63A: Norway's largest city) The city of Oslo is a leader in reducing urban carbon emissions. In September 2021, the number of electric vehicles entering Oslo was higher than the number of fossil-fueled vehicles. They plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions 95% from 1990 levels by 2030.
  • SOCAL (53D: Orange County's location, familiarly). Did you all see Albert Pujols hit home run #700 last weekend at Dodger Stadium? 

Random thoughts and interesting things:

  • DENS (70A: Lairs for raccoons) Like most animals who make dens, the primary function is to provide a safe location for birthing and caring for young. Raccoons, however, are one species that is very quick to abandon a den and can move every day or two if startled. Look at this adorable video of baby raccoons.
  • ZITI (60D: Pasta often baked with three cheeses) Ah, yes. The TikTok pasta
  • GNAW (59A: Chew like a gopher) Gophers, like all rodents, have teeth that never stop growing. Due to an enamel imbalance, they grow with an inward curve, allowing the animal to gnaw endlessly. This is why it's important to provide your pet rodents with healthy chew toys. 

Hi readers! I'm Shannon Rapp, and I'm back with another guest blog for Sally's Take today. This was a super breezy (even pre-coffee!) solve this morning. Animal facts? Sign me up! And a nice theme that works really well - THATS A TALL ORDER is a great find. (and also gives me another theme idea or two...)

Have you worked out Sally's meta puzzle? Read the September 30 post for details. Only one week left to submit an answer! I haven't got it yet, but the prize mug is sooooo cute!!! :D 

Two reviews for the price of one today! I'm also writing this puzzle up for Diary of a Crossword Fiend

Zhouqin, thanks so much for another fun puzzle! Sally, thanks for letting me fill in today, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation! Readers, please consider supporting Sally's Take if you are able. (See the yellow Donate button to the side or below). If you are interested in talking puzzles with me more, or want to make a puzzle with me, please contact me on twitter

Comments