Title: THERE ARE TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY
Constructor: Max Schlenker
Editor: Amanda Rafkin
Theme synopsis:
- SELF-EXPLANATORY (17A: Easy to understand)
- STRING THEORY (38A: Particle physics concept)
- STORAGE FACILITY (62A: Where you might keep snowboards and winter coats in July)
THERE ARE TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY: The word STORY is split by each theme answer, and therefore appears at the TWO SIDES of each answer: SELF-EXPLANATORY, STRING THEORY, and STORAGE FACILITY.
a
What I learned from today's puzzle:
- PINA (29A: ___ Coladice (board game)) PIÑA Coladice is a game in which players roll dice and collect cocktail tokens to earn points.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
- TOAD (1A: Mario Kart character with a mushroom like head) In the Mario franchise, TOAD is a character who provides assistance to Mario and his friends. In some games TOAD is a playable character, while in others he is present as a non-playable character.
- MEGA (5A: ___ Evolution (powerful Pokemon form)) Earlier this summer, I learned that some Pokémon can undergo MEGA Evolution. Unlike (non-MEGA) evolution, MEGA Evolution is only a temporary change.
- AXEL (15A: Leap for Alysa Liu) An AXEL is an ice-skating jump. Alysa Liu is a figure skater. She was part of the USA Olympic team that competed at the Winter Olympics in Milan, Italy earlier this year. She won gold medals in both the singles and team events. Alysa Liu was the first woman figure skater to land a triple AXEL-triple toe loop combination in the short program and the first woman to complete a quadruple jump and a triple AXEL in the same program.
- STRING THEORY (38A: Particle physics concept) STRING THEORY is a physics theory used to describe how particles propagate through space and interact with each other. At this point the concept remains a theory, partly because it deals with the actions of subatomic particles, which are difficult to test.
- EVE (43A: She liked a bad apple) and ROTTEN (44A: Like a bad apple) This is a cute clue pairing. There's probably some theological debate that could be had about whether EVE really liked that apple (and indeed, whether it was actually an apple...), but this is a crossword puzzle blog, so I'll just let it go...
- ELIE (47A: Fashion designer Saab) Elie SAAB is a fashion designer with workshops in Lebanon, Milan, and Paris. He started his business in 1982 (at the age of 18), initially specializing in bridal couture (high-end custom-made fashion).
- DISCOS (50A: Silent ___ (parties with headphone-wearing dancers)) At silent DISCOS, partygoers all wear wireless headphones. Instead of the use of a speaker system, music is broadcast through a radio transmitter so participants hear it through their headphones. To onlookers without headphones, silent DISCOS appear to be a room full of people dancing to nothing. Silent DISCOS are a way for organizers to get around noise ordinances and curfews.
- ISLAM (57A: Hajj religion) In ISLAM, Hajj (Pilgrimage) is one of the five pillars, which are the foundations of Muslim life. These five pillars are basic acts considered mandatory by believers. In addition to Hajj, the other pillars of Sunni ISLAM are Shahada (Profession of Faith), Salat (Prayer), Zakat (Almsgiving), and Shawm (Fasting). Shia Islam has the same basic acts, but they differ in the naming and numbering.
- CASS (68A: Mama in the Mamas & the Papas) Mama CASS Elliot (1941-1974) was a member of the folk rock group, The Mamas & the Papas, and also had a successful solo career before she died of heart failure at the age of 32.
- MYTH (61D: "We only use 10% of our brains," e.g.) I was intrigued by this clue, because I have never heard this MYTH. The reality (shown by brain scans) is that virtually every part of the brain is active.
- ISA (23D: "The Pitt" actress Briones) The Pitt is a TV series set in the emergency room of the fictional Pittsburgh Trauma Medical Hospital. Each season of the show covers one 15-hour work shift, with each episode covering approximately one hour. ISA Briones portrays Dr. Trinity Santos, who is an intern in the show's first season.
- TEA (63D: Coffee alternative that's actually more likely to stain teeth) I knew this answer immediately. Every time I visit the dentist (one of my least favorite things to do!), the dental hygienist tells me my TEA drinking habit is staining my teeth. I enjoy my TEA far too much to worry about that.
- A few other clues and answers I especially enjoyed:
- MOO (24D: "Greetings, fellow cow")
- TREE (39D: It may grow up and branch out?)
- MOI (41D: "You're accusing me?!")
I enjoyed this theme a lot. I also am amused that STRING THEORY is definitely not SELF-EXPLANATORY! Thank you, Max, for this interesting puzzle.
As hopefully most of you know by know, I announced on August 21 that today is the last day of Sally's Take. I couldn't let this ending happen without a wrap-up post. You can find that here.
And if you're looking for another blog about the USA Today crossword, I suggest you check out the fine folks over at Diary of a Crossword Fiend.

Little bit of an oblique puzzle for your last column. And not even a clue for one last peek at Willow! Have always enjoyed your commentary—we’ll miss you. Best wishes in your further endeavors.
ReplyDeleteThank you! You'll have to read my wrap-up post to get a last peek at Willow!
Delete