August 27, 2026

Title: PULL APART ROLLS

Constructors: Terry Sun & Carina da Rosa

Editor: Amanda Rafkin


Theme synopsis:
  • ROLE REVERSAL (24A: Situation in which two people trade duties)
  • ROYAL ALBERT HALL (36A: London venue named after Queen Victoria's husband)
  • RUSSIAN DOLL (48A: Netflix show that has Natasha Lyonne's character in a time loop)
PULL APART ROLLS: The word ROLL is symbolically "pulled apart" by each theme answer: ROLE REVERSAL, ROYAL ALBERT HALL, and RUSSIAN DOLL.

And now a word from today's constructors:
Terry: I'm excited be making my USA Today debut and glad to have a chance to visit this blog before its conclusion. Carina and I met through Lil AVCX last year and we met up and did an escape room together in Toronto! It's been a blast writing puzzles together (and seeing Carina's amazing work all over the place!). Food is always on my mind (and in my puzzles). I made some green onion pull-apart rolls last summer - think scallion pancakes as dinner rolls - they were amazing.
Here is the first cat I ever lived with, Grandpa (he was the old man of our household). He's since moved across the country with my old roommates, still looking for sun spots to sleep in.
A gray-striped cat is sleeping while bathed in sunlight.
Grandpa
Carina: Terry and I e-met when we did last year’s Lil AVCX mentorship program. Then we tackled an escape room in person in Toronto (don’t ask us how we did), then we went out for Dutch-Indo after and made promises about collabing on something. So… tada, enjoy!
I also want to thank Sally for giving us a platform to speak about our puzzles all these years. She’s been such an advocate and a kind soul in the community. The blog might be going, but there’s no way we’re getting rid of Sally!

What I learned from today's puzzle:
  • EMMA (26D: "Bugonia" star Stone) Bugonia is a 2025 movie that is an English-language remake of the 2003 South Korean film Save the Green Planet! EMMA Stone stars as Michelle Fuller, the CEO of a major pharmaceutical company. Michelle is kidnapped by a conspiracy theorist (with the help of his cousin) who believes she is an alien. I thought I hadn't heard of this movie, but once I started reading about it I realized that my daughter and son-in-law saw it when it came out and told me about it.
  • ELLE (54D: "Margo's Got Money Troubles" actress Fanning) Margo's Got Money Troubles is a TV series based on a 2024 book by Rufi Thorpe. ELLE Fanning portrays the title character, Margo Millet. To solve the money troubles hinted at by the title, Margo turns to OnlyFans.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • IVY (22A: Apt name for a botanist) Indeed, IVY is an apt name for a botanist. Other apt names for botanists might be Rose, Iris, Holly, or Herb. I've added this clue to my list of apt name clues (that I keep simply because these types of clues make me happy).
  • THE (30A: Word before "Clash" or "Cure") This is a fun way to clue this common three-letter word. It's a nice extra touch that THE Clash and THE Cure are both English rock bands.
  • PDA (34A: K-i-s-s-i-n-g outdoors, e.g.) Nice use of formatting in this clue.
  • ROYAL ALBERT HALL (36A: London venue named after Queen Victoria's husband) The ROYAL ALBERT HALL opened in 1871. As the clue informs us, the venue was named for Prince Albert (1840-1861), Queen Victoria's husband. The concert hall has hosted some amazing events in its  155-year history. Suffragettes met there. Winston Churchill and Albert Einstein gave speeches there. Muhammad Ali boxed there. Adele, BeyoncĂ©, Bob Dylan, and so many more artists have performed there. The stories that building could tell... Side note: Although THE Cure has played at Royal Albert Hall, THE Clash has not.
  • FORD (47A: "Shrinking" actor Harrison) Clues such as this one amuse me because I always imagine the clue without the quotes around the movie name, which would change the meaning completely! (A clue in this category we see often is ["Frozen" queen].) No, Harrison FORD isn't shrinking, but he does play Dr. Paul Rhoades in the Apple TV series Shrinking. The show, which premiered in January of this year, focuses on a grieving therapist (portrayed by Jason Segel) who becomes involved in his patients' lives.
  • RUSSIAN DOLL (48A: Netflix show that has Natasha Lyonne's character in a time loop) On the TV series RUSSIAN DOLL (2019-2022), Natasha Lyonne portrays Nadia Vulvokov, a game developer who is stuck in an ongoing time loop that means she repeatedly dies and relives the same night. In addition to starring in the show, Natasha Lyonne also helped produce, write, and direct it.
  • MLK (57A: March on Washington figure (Abbr.)) The March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom was held on August 28, 1963. Approximately 250,000 people participated, rallying in Washington D.C. to advocate for civil and economic rights of Black Americans. It was at this event that Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) delivered his "I Have a Dream Speech" calling for an end to legalized racism.
  • CHOPRA (1D: Actress Priyanka) Priyanka CHOPRA is an actress, producer, model, and singer. Her movie credits include The White Tiger (2021) and The Matrix Resurrections (2021). Priyanka CHOPRA won the Miss World pageant in 2000.
  • ANSEL (10D: Photographer Adams) ANSEL Adams (1902-1984) is known for his black-and-white landscape photos. He was an active member of the Sierra Club and took photos of National Parks for the United States Department of the Interior.
  • PBS (34D: "Masterpiece" network) Masterpiece, formerly known as Masterpiece Theatre, is a PBS TV series. It is known for presenting adaptations of novels and biographies. Masterpiece shows have included Downton Abbey, Sherlock, and The Forsyte Saga.
  • RVS (36D: Parts of hookup culture?) Those are RV hookups. What kind of hookups did you think they were?
  • TRON (40D: Movie universe with a Game Grid) The sci-fi Tron franchise began with the 1982 movie TRON. The TRON universe is comprised of a Game Grid, a series of digital virtual realities where computer programs exist as sentient entities.
  • DRONES (45D: They serve the queen) We're talking bees here.
  • AUG (46D: Mo. with International Clown Week) If you missed out on celebrating International Clown Week this year, you'll need to wait almost an entire year for your next opportunity. International Clown Week is celebrated during the first week of August (AUG). The observance began unofficially in the U.S. in the 1950s, and was formally recognized in the U.S. in 1971. In the 1980s and 1990s, Clown Week evolved into a global observance.
  • BABY (53D: Person with a crib sheet?) Not a person cheating on a test, but a BABY sleeping in a crib.
  • MON (60D: Nickname for Ross' sister on "Friends") No, I still haven't watched Friends, but over the years I've picked up enough knowledge about the show to know that Ross and Monica (aka "MON") are siblings.
  • A few other clues and answers I especially enjoyed"
    • BED HOG (53A: Person who sleeps in the starfish position)
    • NEEDY (67A: Like a stage-five clinger)
    • FAKE ID (47D: one might be confiscated by a bouncer)
I was thrilled to see Terry and Carina's names on this puzzle. I once commented to a friend and fellow constructor that I tend to write more when I'm writing about my friends' puzzles, thus making more work for myself. His comment, "You have a lot of friends..." Well, there is that! Congratulations to Terry on a USA Today crossword debut! Thank you, Terry and Carina, for this delightful puzzle. And, oh yes, welcome to the Cats of Sally's Take, Grandpa!


Comments