August 16, 2026

Title: GIFT GUIDE

Constructor: Pam Klawitter

Editor: Amanda Rafkin


Theme synopsis:
  • BATTERY PACK (20A: One power source for a hybrid vehicle)
  • CAESAR SALAD WRAP (39A: Handheld lunch stuffed with romaine, croutons, and dressing)
  • ROLL THE TAPE (56A: Let's check out that replay!")
GIFT GUIDE: The last words of the theme answers are the steps of preparing a GIFT: PACK, WRAP, and TAPE.

Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • IMAC (5A: Apple on a teacher's desk?) There are a number of question mark clues today. In this case, the question mark is noting that the "apple" is not a piece of fruit, but an Apple computer, an IMAC.
  • EARL (33A: "Bridgerton" title) Bridgerton is a Regency romance TV series based on the book series of the same name by Julia Quinn. Bridgerton premiered in 2020. There are several EARLs in the series.
  • SLEPT (46A: Did some undercover work?) Honestly, sleeping is my favorite type of undercover work.
  • STEW (67A: Andrajos or goulash) Andrajos is a rabbit STEW in Spanish cuisine. Goulash, a national dish of Hungary, is a meat and vegetable STEW. 
  • PUMA (2D: Athletic brand that makes the Speedcat) The Speedcat is a style of racing shoe first released by PUMA in 1999. The first version of the Speedcat was designed for Formula 1 drivers. It was made of either premium calfskin or kangaroo leather and included fireproof lining. A lifestyle version of the PUMA Speedcat was released in 2000. This version was made of normal leather and suede and did not have a fireproof lining. In 2025, PUMA released the Speedcat Ballet, a version meant to replicate the look and feel of ballet flats.
  • MERYL (6D: Streep who voiced Insect Queen in "Hoppers") Hoppers is an animated movie released earlier this year. The sci-fi comedy film follows the story of an animal-loving college student who transfers her consciousness into a robotic beaver. Adventures ensue, of course. As the clue informs us, MERYL Streep voiced the role of the Insect Queen in the movie.
  • TONER (12D: Canon filler?) That's a Canon copier that is filled with TONER.
  • ALLERGEN (41D: Cat hair or pollen) Please don't tell my cat, Willow, that I'm probably allergic to her. This will be our little secret. Enjoy this picture of Willow practicing being a contortionist.
A calico cat is sleeping while curled up into an odd-looking ball.
  • PLAY (60D: "Angels in America, e.g.) Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes is a two-part PLAY by Tony Kushner. The PLAY, which tells the story of a gay man living with AIDS, won a Pulitzer Prize for Drama and a Tony Award for Best Play. It has been adapted into an HBO miniseries and an opera.
  • EELS (61D: Disney's Flotsam and Jetsam, for example) This is a reference to the movie The Little Mermaid (either the 1989 animated version or the 2023 live-action version). Ursula the sea witch has two EELS that work for her. Their names are Flotsam and Jetsam.
  • NEO (63D: "The Matrix" role) I have written about The Matrix and the character of NEO previously.
  • A couple of other clues and answers I especially enjoyed:
    • ORAL (68A: Exam that's hard to cheat on)
    • CASA (8D: "Mi ___ es su ___")
I appreciate the transformation of this theme. The words PACK, WRAP, and TAPE mean different things in the theme answers than they do when talking about preparing a GIFT. I also like that the steps of the GIFT GUIDE are presented in the order one would do them. Congratulations to Pam Klawitter making a USA Today crossword debut! Thank you, Pam, for this enjoyable puzzle.

A note about comments: I welcome your comments on the blog! For one thing it's nice to know folks are reading what I've written. My goal for this blog has always been for it to be informational, conversational, and kind. I ask that you keep those goals in mind when commenting. Unkind comments will be deleted. Note that I am more likely to delete a negative comment if it is posted anonymously. (P.S. You can point out when I make a mistake – in fact, I appreciate that so I can correct it.)

Comments