Title: GUM WRAPPER
Constructor: Dario Salvucci
Editor: Amie Walker
Theme synopsis:
- GAINING MOMENTUM (17A: Gradually becoming more popular, like a trend)
- GULF STREAM (37A: Current that brings warm water into the Atlantic)
- GILLETTE STADIUM (58A: Where the New England Revolution play their home games)
GUM WRAPPER: The word GUM is found "wrapped" around each theme answer: GAINING MOMENTUM, GULF STREAM, and GILLETTE STADIUM.
And now a word from our constructor:
Dario: The phrase "Gum Wrapper" felt like it could go in either of two directions: having the letters of GUM wrap around the theme answer, or having the letters GUM embedded in and wrapped by the theme answer. Fortunately it was an easy decision, since phrases with the letters of GUM splitting across words are not exactly plentiful. The original theme set included GUGGENHEIM, but I'm very glad Amanda suggested GAINING MOMENTUM to replace it as a fun accessible phrase that also spans the grid. Happy solving!
What I learned from today's puzzle:
- GILLETTE STADIUM (58A: Where the New England Revolution play their home games) The New England Revolution are a Major League Soccer club located in Massachusetts. They play their home games at GILLETTE STADIUM, which is located in Foxborough, about 21 miles southwest of Boston.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
- ALDA (5A: "The West Wing" actor Alan) The West Wing is a TV series that originally aired on NBC from 1999 to 2006. As the name suggests, the show is set in the West Wing of the White House, which is where the Oval Office is located. In the sixth and seventh seasons of The West Wing, Alan ALDA portrays Arnold Vinick, a senator from California who becomes the Republican nominee for president.
- MILAN (30A: La Scala's home) La Scala is an opera house in MILAN, Italy. It first opened in 1778.
- BIRD (33A: Basketball player Sue) Sue BIRD is a retired professional basketball player. She played for the WNBA's Seattle Storm from 2002-2022. The Seattle Storm won four WNBA championships during Sue BIRD's time on the team. Sue BIRD was also part of the USA Olympic basketball team that won five gold medals.
- TATAMI (51A: Mat in a ryokan) A ryokan is a type of traditional Japanese inn. Ryokans generally have public areas for guests to socialize, as well as communal baths. Rooms have TATAMI mats on the floor, and the bed is usually a futon.
- OREO (63A: Cookie with a Firecracker Pop flavor) Firecracker Pop OREOs debuted earlier this year. Golden OREO cookies contain three layers of filling: red (cherry), white (lemon), and blue (raspberry). Although the name might lead one to expect that the cookies contain popping candy (as past Firework OREOs have), there's no popping candy in this variety.
- ANNA (64A: "A Simple Favor" star Kendrick) A Simple Favor is a 2018 movie based on a 2017 book of the same name by Darcey Bell. ANNA Kendrick portrays Stephanie Smothers, a small-town vlogger attempting to solve the disappearance of her friend.
- LEGO (6D: Toy brand discussed on Brickipedia) Brickipedia is a free online site written by LEGO fans. It describes itself as a "LEGO encyclopedia."
- ACTIVISM (11D: It might involve protests, marches or community organizing) I doubt we'll ever live in a world where ACTIVISM isn't necessary. I encourage you to seek out ways to be an activist for issues that are important to you.
- SAM (13D: "Unholy" singer Smith) "Unholy" is a 2022 song by SAM Smith and Kim Petras. "Unholy" won a Grammy Award for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance.
- YEN (36D: Currency in Kyoto) Kyoto is a city in Japan. The name "Kyoto" means "capital city;" Kyoto was the capital of Japan from 794 to 1868. The current capital of Japan is Tokyo. Japan's currency is the Japanese YEN.
- CHARLIE (41D: Third letter of the NATO alphabet) The NATO Phonetic Alphabet is a widely used radiotelephone spelling alphabet. It's been a while since the crossword encouraged me to review the NATO phonetic alphabet. The NATO alphabet starts with alfa, bravo, CHARLIE, delta, echo, and foxtrot.
- AHA (52D: "That's it!") As regular readers of the blog know, I'm rather fond of "AHA!" moments. It's always fun to have an AHA right in the grid.
- HERA (55D: Queen of Mount Olympus) I wrote about HERA, Queen of the Olympians, earlier this month.
- A few other clues and answers I especially enjoyed:
- PEA (49A: Veggie under a fairy-tale mattress)
- ALIEN (62A: Alien)
- BLESS (65A: "___ your heart!")
The title of today's puzzle let me know just what to expect as a theme. Congratulations to Dario Salvucci making a USA Today crossword debut! Thank you, Dario, for this enjoyable puzzle.
A note about comments: I welcome your comments on the blog! For one thing it's nice to know folks are reading what I've written. My goal for this blog has always been for it to be informational, conversational, and kind. I ask that you keep those goals in mind when commenting. Unkind comments will be deleted. Note that I am more likely to delete a negative comment if it is posted anonymously. (P.S. You can point out when I make a mistake – in fact, I appreciate that so I can correct it.)

Comments
Post a Comment