Title: WE'RE DONE HERE! (Freestyle)
Constructor: Howard Neuthaler
Editor: Amie Walker
Theme synopsis:
WE'RE DONE HERE! (Freestyle): There's no theme today, as this is a freestyle, or themeless, puzzle. The title is a nod to THAT DOES IT (16A: "I've had enough!") and ADIOS AMIGOS (9D: Casual farewell).
What I learned from today's puzzle:
- HBO (55D: First TV channel to begin transmitting by satellite) This is a fun fact. This clue made me wonder what the first show was that HBO showed via satellite. The answer is the September 30, 1975 boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, which was billed as the Thrilla in Manila.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
- THE EU (13A: Group for Ireland and Poland, for short) THE European Union, or THE EU, for short, is a group of countries – primarily in Europe, as the name suggests – who have formed a union for political and economic reasons. THE EU currently has 27 member countries. The related term, Eurozone, refers to the 21 members of THE EU who have adopted the euro as their primary currency. In 2012, THE EU was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for "over six decades [having] contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe."
- ONLINE POKER (20A: Game that involves virtual calls?) The question mark at the end of the clue alerts solvers to be on the lookout for wordplay. Those virtual calls aren't zoom sessions, but the calling of POKER hands that happen virtually in an ONLINE POKER game.
- PERU (24A: Country with about 4 million alpacas) With 4 million resident alpacas, it's not surprising that PERU is the world's leading producer of alpaca wool. I did a little math, and since PERU has a population of just over 34 million people, the country has approximately one alpaca for every nine people.
- ROME (31A: Teatro di Marcello city) The Teatro di Marcello, or the Theatre of Marcellus, was an open-air theater built in 13 BCE. Work on the theater began under the reign of Julius Caesar, but he died before its completion. Emperor Augustus was the ruler when the building was dedicated, and it was named for his nephew (and son-in-law), Marcus Marcellus.
- HOME EC (33A: H.S. life skills class) HOME economics, or HOME EC, for short, is a subject covering finances, consumer issues, nutrition, and food preparation, among other things. Some schools still offer HOME EC classes, but at many schools the topics previously covered in HOME EC are covered in classes called Family and Consumer Sciences.
- UTTER CHAOS (54A: This is absolute mayhem!) The exclamation point at the end of a clue alerts solvers to interpret the clue literally. UTTER CHAOS is literally absolute mayhem.
- MEME (57A: Pointing Leonardo DiCaprio, e.g.) The Pointing Leonardo DiCaprio MEME is exactly what it sounds like. The MEME is a picture of Leonardo DiCaprio (as Rick Dalton in the movie Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), pointing a finger straight ahead. The image is used to express feelings of excited recognition. (In the movie, Rick Dalton is watching a TV show he appears in and points when he appears onscreen.)
- AZTEC (8D: Like the god Huitzilopochtli) Huitzilopochtli is a God of Sun and War in the AZTEC religion. Huitzilopochtli was the patron god of the AZTECs.
- ANTE (11D: Pay to play) It's fun that ANTE is crossing ONLINE POKER.
- TIA (26D: "Sister, Sister" performer Mowry) In the TV sitcom, Sister, Sister (1994-1999), TIA Mowry played opposite her identical twin sister, Tamera Mowry. On the show, the sisters played TIA Landry and Tamera Campbell, identical twin sisters who were separated at birth and accidentally find each other years later.
- RBIS (31D: A grand slam adds four of these to the batter's total) and TAG UP (35D: Prepare to advance a base on a fly out) A couple of clues for the baseball fans. Although (as I probably mention far too often!) I am not a big sports fan, baseball is the sport I know the most about. I have attended a number of MLB games, as my dad was a St. Louis Cardinals fan. Anyway, this past weekend I went to a baseball game in Chicago: Chicago White Sox vs. Cleveland Guardians. I was rooting for the White Sox, as instructed by my daughter. Her husband, an Ohio native, was rooting for the Guardians. It turned out to be a great game if you were a Guardians fan. We did see a grand slam (with its four RBIS), hit by the Guardians.
- ALDA (47D: "Marriage Story" actor Alan) Marriage Story is a 2019 movie about a married couple navigating a divorce. Alan Alda played the ROLE of lawyer Bert Spitz.
- A few other clues and answers I especially enjoyed:
- BOBA TEA (34A: Drink with balls that might get stuck in a straw)
- IDEA (56A: What a cartoon light bulb might represent)
- SUDOKU (5D: It's a numbers game)
Coming up with titles for freestyle puzzles is a bit of an art. Usually the title references one of the puzzles longer answers, but occasionally, as is the case today, the title can refer to a couple of answers. "WE'RE DONE HERE!" is an evocative phrase, and I think it makes a great title. Thank you, Howard, for this enjoyable puzzle.
A note about comments: I welcome your comments on the blog! For one thing it's nice to know folks are reading what I've written. My goal for this blog has always been for it to be informational, conversational, and kind. I ask that you keep those goals in mind when commenting. Unkind comments will be deleted. Note that I am more likely to delete a negative comment if it is posted anonymously. (P.S. You can point out when I make a mistake – in fact, I appreciate that so I can correct it.)

Comments
Post a Comment