July 27, 2026

Title: A SHARP TURN (Freestyle)

Constructor: Harry B. Samuels

Editor: Amie Walker


Theme synopsis:
A SHARP TURN (Freestyle): This is a freestyle, or themeless puzzle, so there's no theme. There is a mini-theme though, with the following answers:
  • PIZZA CUTTER (4D: Kitchen tool for slicing a pie)
  • CIRCULAR SAW (27D: Woodworking tool)
  • Revealer: ROLLER BLADES (52A: Some inline skates (and what two answers in this puzzle literally are)
Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • AKITA (16A: Japanese dog breed mentioned in "La Vie Boheme") "La Vie Bohème" is a song from the 1996 musical Rent. In the song, Benny says, "There was a death in the family / If you must know." When Angel asks, "Who died?" Benny replies, "Our AKITA."
  • GONZO (17A: Muppet who once yodeled while riding a motorized pogo stick) Ha! That GONZO, he's always up to something goofy. Perhaps it's appropriate that the other answer in this row is GO BANANAS (18A: Totally flip out).
  • PPE (23A: Face shields and latex gloves, e.g. (Abbr.)) PPE stands for personal protective equipment.
  • CROC (28A: Clog that might be worn in "sport mode") There are a number of memes about CROCs, comparing "sport mode" with the heel strap down and "relaxed mode" with the heel strap up.
  • LAP UP (34A: Drink like a cat) and LOAFS (54A: Lounges like an unbothered cat) My cat, Willow, is delighted to see not one, but two, cat clues today. I'm not sure if I have a photo of Willow lapping up water, but I have a zillion photos of her loafing.
A calico cat is curled tightly into a ball.

  • SCARF (40A: Neckwear worn by Gru in "Despicable Me") and ASCOT (63A: Neckwear worn by Fred in "Scooby-Doo") This is a fun pair of clues.
  • FANTASIA (44A: 1940 movie featuring classical music and Mickey Mouse) Fantasia is a Disney movie that consists of eight animated segments set to pieces of classical music. 
  • OREOS (70A: "Wheels" on a gingerbread car, perhaps) This is a fun and creative clue for our crossword friend, OREOS.
  • NHL (71A: Stanley Cup org.) The Stanley Cup is the championship trophy for the National Hockey League (NHL). The trophy is named for Lord Stanley of Preston, who donated the trophy to Canada. Interestingly, the NHL does not own the trophy, but uses it by agreement with the Canadian trustees of the cup. The reigning Stanley Cup champions are the Carolina Hurricanes.
  • PIGEON (6D: Bird sometimes called the rock dove) PIGEON is making back-to-back puzzle appearances. We saw it yesterday clued as [Bird that's scientifically the same as a dove].
  • AKA (10D: Donald Glover ___ Childish Gambino) Childish Gambino is the musical stage name of Donald Glover Jr. 
  • A couple of other clues and answers I especially enjoyed:
    • ESC (37D: Key that acts as an "ejector seat")
    • PIG LATIN (39D: "Ancay ouyay eakspay igpay atinlay?" language)
As I've mentioned previously, I always appreciate a themed-ish freestyle puzzle. I had already filled in PIZZA CUTTER and CIRCULAR SAW before I came to the clue for ROLLER BLADES, and that made for an excellent "Aha!" moment. Thank you, Harry, for this enjoyable puzzle.

A note about comments: I welcome your comments on the blog! For one thing it's nice to know folks are reading what I've written. My goal for this blog has always been for it to be informational, conversational, and kind. I ask that you keep those goals in mind when commenting. Unkind comments will be deleted. Note that I am more likely to delete a negative comment if it is posted anonymously. (P.S. You can point out when I make a mistake – in fact, I appreciate that so I can correct it.) 

Comments