August 4, 2023

Title: SUNNY SIDE UP (FREESTYLE)

Constructor: Rafael Musa 

Editor: Amanda Rafkin

Freestyle: This is a themeless puzzle. SUNNY SIDE UP is a nod to HUEVOS RANCHEROS (4D: Egg dish with tortillas and salsa).

Things I learned:
  • STAR (64A: Invincibility power-up in Mario games) An Invincibility STAR, or Super STAR, appears in the Mario video games as a five-pointed STAR with eyes. A player that gets an Invincibility STAR temporarily becomes invulnerable to almost all damage. I haven't played many Mario games, so I needed the help of crossing answers for this one.
  • ICK (30D: Get the ___ (feel put off by someone)) "Get the ICK," is a new phrase to me, but its meaning is inferable. The phrase is generally used in a dating or relationship context.
  • MIA (37D: "In the Country" author Alvar) MIA Alvar's debut book, In the Country, was published in 2015. The book is a collection of nine short stories about people of the Filipino diaspora.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • SMH (1A: "I can't believe u") SMH = smacking my head or shaking my head
  • HEN (4A: Female chicken) It's nice to have a HEN at the top of the grid, providing eggs for HUEVOS RANCHEROS.
  • YOKO (22A: Musician Ono) It's not uncommon to see YOKO Ono's last name in a puzzle. (From a constructor's standpoint, it is rather a handy 3-letter word.) It's nice to see her first name here. YOKO Ono celebrated her 90th birthday on February 18 this year.
  • GIN (33A: Liquor in a Negroni) A Negroni is an Italian cocktail made of equal parts GIN, vermouth, and Campari.
  • STEAMPUNK (34A: Aesthetic with trademark brass goggles) The STEAMPUNK aesthetic weaves together elements of the Victorian era and science fiction. It was inspired by the STEAMPUNK sub-genre of science fiction. STEAMPUNK fashion often includes Victorian-style clothing - waistcoats, top hats, and long dresses - paired with accessories such as brass or copper jewelry, pocket watches, and brass goggles. Cogs and clocks are popular motifs in STEAMPUNK accessories.
  • GLENN (38A: Actress Close) GLENN Close has the dubious distinction of being one of two people who have been nominated eight times for an Academy Award, but has never won. She shares that record with Peter O'Toole. GLENN Close has won plenty of other awards, including three Tony Awards, three Emmy Awards, and three Golden Globe Awards.
  • HAN (47A: Largest Chinese ethnic group) The HAN Chinese account for approximately 18% of the global population, making them the world's largest ethnic group.
  • ORE (49A: Catan resource from a mountain hex) When I first began blogging, references to resources in the Settlers of Catan board games were fairly frequent, such that I began collecting mentions of them. Not surprisingly, the crossword frequent flyer ORE is the most mentioned Catan resource. We've yet to see brick or wool clued in reference to Catan.
  • MILEY (2D: "Flowers" singer Cyrus) The song, "Flowers" by MILEY Cyrus was released in January of this year. The song was a huge hit, passing a billion streams on Spotify in just 112 days. I find the lyrics of "Flowers" quite empowering: "I can buy myself flowers ... I can take myself dancing ... I can love me better than you can."
  • HUEVOS RANCHEROS (4D: Egg dish with tortillas and salsa) HUEVOS RANCHEROS consists of fried eggs (maybe SUNNY SIDE UP...) served on tortillas and accompanied by pico de gallo (fresh salsa). Sounds delicious, doesn't it?
  • PHONE TAG (36D: Series of back-and-forth missed calls) I've always liked the phrase PHONE TAG. It so perfectly describes the combined frustration and humor of a series of missed calls. As I filled this answer in, I realized I haven't had a PHONE TAG situation in a bit. Partly because I don't make as many phone calls as usual since so much correspondence is done via text or email or other digital messaging systems. Also, now if I call someone and they don't answer, I simply text them explaining why I was calling. 

    Geography review:

    • UTAH (58A: State with the annual Living Traditions Festival) The Living Traditions Festival is a 3-day celebration of traditional dance, music, crafts, and food of Salt Lake City, UTAH's contemporary ethnic communities. The festival began in 1985, and is held annually on the third weekend of May.
    • OCEANS (14D: Pacific, Atlantic, etc.) Earth's five OCEANS, in order of size, are the Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Antarctic (also known as the Southern), and the Arctic.
    WHERE DO I START? I appreciate when constructors give me a perfect opening line. WE LOVE TO SEE IT! The four longest answers here are so fantastic. The phrase DON'T SUGARCOAT IT isn't necessary, because I have nothing but admiration and praise for this grid. Thank you, Rafa, for this puzzle that was a fantastic way to start my Friday.


    Comments