April 30, 2023

Title: OAR-INSPIRING

Constructor: Zhouqin Burnikel

Editor: Erik Agard

Theme Answers:
BLADE STEAK (18A: Beef cut from the shoulder area)
GRIP AND GRIN (24A: Event with handshakes and photos)
SHAFT OF LIGHT (50A: Bright beam)
COLLAR STAY (58A: Dress shirt insert)

Theme synopsis: The first words of the theme answers are parts of an OAR.

Things I learned:
  • GRIP AND GRIN (24A: Event with handshakes and photos) I have never heard the phrase, "GRIP AND GRIN." Fortunately, its meaning is intuitive. Wiktionary defines a GRIP AND GRIN just as it is described in the clue. Apparently, however, the GRIP AND GRIN, or grip-n-grin, has another meaning in hunting circles. When I googled GRIP AND GRIN, many of the results had to do with its usage to refer to a photo op showing off one's hunting or fishing bounty. That's a bit of a different take. I liked seeing the answer SNAPSHOT (13D: Quick photo) cross GRIP AND GRIN.
  • DRE (25D: Rotimi's character on "Power") Power is a TV series that aired on the Starz network from 2014-2020. The show tells the story of James St. Patrick (portrayed by Omari Harwick), a drug dealer known as Ghost, who attempts to pursue a legitimate business by becoming a nightclub owner. Rotimi Akinosho portrays Andre "DRE" Coleman, a protege and rival of Ghost.
  • DAD (35D: Chief Benja, to Raya) I have previously written about Raya and the Last Dragon, a 2021 Disney animated movie about a warrior princess training to become a Guardian of the Dragon Gem. Chief Benja is the DAD of title-princess Raya. Daniel Dae Kim voiced the role of Chief Benja, and Kelly Marie Tran voiced the role of Raya.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • NO-HIT (41A: "I would rather beat the Yankees regularly than pitch a ___ game" (Bob Feller)) Given my oft-repeated statement, "(Almost) everything I know about sports I learned from crossword puzzles," it may surprise you that I know about Bob Feller. Of all sports, the one I know most about is baseball, as my dad was a lifelong baseball fan. It was my dad who taught me about Bob Feller. From 1936-1956, Bob Feller (1918-2010) was a pitcher for MLB's Cleveland Indians (now the Cleveland Guardians). Bob Feller began pitching in the MLB when he was only 17 years old. In spite of the quote shared in the clue, which is an awesome attitude to have, Bob Feller did pitch three NO-HIT games in his career, in 1940, 1946, and 1951. Two fun facts: 1) Bob Feller's 1940 NO-HIT game against the Chicago White Sox is the only no-hitter in MLB history to be pitched on Opening Day. 2) Bob Feller's 1946 NO-HIT game was pitched against the New York Yankees. (The 1951 no-hitter was against the Detroit Tigers.) Bob Feller was born in Van Meter, Iowa, and the Bob Feller Museum was opened in Van Meter in 1995. As you drive along Interstate 80 through Iowa, there is a sign near Van Meter about the Bob Feller Museum. I drove this way with my dad a few times, and each time we passed the sign, my dad, who grew up in Ohio, would tell me about what a great pitcher Bob Feller was. Thanks for this good memory, puzzle.
  • BAMA (62A: Crimson Tide school, for short) The University of Alabama, BAMA for short, is located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The school's nickname is Crimson Tide, and its colors are crimson and white.
  • TUBER (67A: Satsumaimo or taro) Satsumaimo is a Japanese variety of sweet potato. Taro is a root vegetable that is a staple food in many countries. 
  • SUM (36D: Addition problem) and UNO (37D: Tres menos dos) It amused me that the [Addition problem] clue was immediately followed by a subtraction problem.
  • FRYER (51D: Appliance for making mochi donuts) I wrote about mochi donuts just a few days ago.

    Geography review:

    • NEPALI (20A: Person from Pokhara or Kathmandu) Kathmandu and Pokhara, in that order, are the two largest cities in Nepal. Kathmandu is Nepal's capital.
    • SEDONA (39A: Arizona city with red rocks) SEDONA is a city in north-central Arizona. Located within the Coconino National Forest, SEDONA is known for its natural beauty, which includes formations of red sandstone.
    • O'HARE (64A: Airport near the Loop) Hello from Chicago! The Loop is an area of Chicago, Illinois. It is Chicago's central business district. O'HARE International Airport and Midway Airport are the two airports serving the Chicago area. My husband and I are headed home today after spending a week in Chicago housesitting for our daughter and her fiancĂ©. Chicago is a fun city to explore. 
    I don't know much about rowing (see previous statement about sports...), but it was fairly straightforward to figure out that BLADE, GRIP, SHAFT, and COLLAR are parts of an OAR. Thank you, Zhouqin, for this puzzle that was an enjoyable start to my Sunday.

    Comments