April 3, 2023

Title: FANTASY LEAGUE

Constructor: Nate Cardin

Editor: Anna Gundlach

Theme Answers:
SPRITE ZERO (16A: Sugar-free lemon-lime soda)
TROLL FACTORY (26A: Group creating online misinformation and disputes)
FAIRY LIGHTS (47A: Strings of LEDs seen on outdoor patios)
GOBLIN MODE (63A: Feral way of behaving)

Theme synopsis: The first word of each theme answer is a creature that might be encountered in the FANTASY genre. Today's FANTASY LEAGUE: SPRITE, TROLL, FAIRY, and GOBLIN.

Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • SNORES (19A: "Honk-shoo, mimimi" sounds) Ha! This clue is so fun. My husband SNORES occasionally; next time I'm lying awake in the middle of the night, I will listen for "honk-shoo, mimimi" sounds. In all fairness, I also snore. However, my snoring never bothers me because I don't hear it.
  • TROLL FACTORY (26A: Group creating online misinformation and disputes) A TROLL FACTORY, also known as a TROLL farm, is an organized group that post messages on social media with the intent of manipulating perception. 
  • TAOISM (32A: Laozi's philosophy) Laozi was an ancient Chinese philosopher, and is the traditionally credited author of the Tao Te Ching, a fundamental text for TAOISM. In the Tao Te Ching, Laozi described Tao as the natural order of the universe.
  • SUSHI (41A: ___ burrito (Japanese/Mexican fusion food) Peter Yen, founder of the San Francisco-based restaurant, Sushirrito, is credited with inventing the SUSHI burrito in 2008. This fusion food is exactly what it sounds like, SUSHI ingredients rolled up burrito-style in a tortilla.
  • SOLANGE (51A: "Cranes in the Sky" singer) "Cranes in the Sky" is a 2016 single from SOLANGE'S album, A Seat at the Table. SOLANGE talks about A Seat at the Table in this NPR interview.
  • FILLED (58A: Like ravioli and bao) Many cuisines feature versions of FILLED dough - think ravioli and bao, but also jiaozi, wontons, empanadas, and pupusas, just to name a few. I can honestly say I have enjoyed every variation of FILLED dough I have tasted.
  • STREET (7D: Word after "Wall" or "Sesame") Anytime Sesame STREET is mentioned or alluded to in a puzzle, it makes me happy. Thinking about Wall STREET and Sesame STREET together made me chuckle a bit.
  • I MISS YOU (8D: "We need to hang out soon!") Sending this answer out to all the friends I was fortunate enough to meet in person this weekend at the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament (ACPT), as well as to the friends that weren't there this year. I'm already looking forward to next year!
  • SKATE (11D: Compete like Michelle Kwan) Any sports question I know feels like a big victory. Michelle Kwan is a retired ice SKATEr. She is a five-time World Champion for Team USA, and won a silver medal at the 1998 Olympics, and a bronze medal at the 2002 Olympics. Since last year, Michelle Kwan has been the United States Ambassador to Belize.
  • BE SAFE (13D: "Careful out there!") and HELMET (50D: Biker's headgear) One way to BE SAFE is to wear a HELMET. 
  • SHE'S (34D: "I'll have what ___ having") Like the iconic When Harry Met Sally scene from which this quote comes, this clue never gets old.
  • SANTA (51D: Holiday figure with a belt) and ORION (52D: Constellation with a belt) These linked consecutive clues brought me joy. I also thought LACED (53D: Fastened like a corset) rounded out this corner nicely.

    Geography review:

    • ARAB (55A: The "A" in UAE) The United ARAB Emirates (UAE) is a Western Asian country located on the Arabian Peninsula. The capital of the UAE is Abu Dhabi. One interesting thing about the UAE is that, while the population of the country is just over 10 million people, only 12% of those are UAE citizens. The vast majority of people living in the UAE are expatriates. 
    • OMAN (38D: Muscat's country) OMAN and the United ARAB Emirates are neighbors on the Arabian Peninsula. Muscat is the capital and largest city of OMAN. 
    After I filled in SPRITE ZERO, I had an idea of the theme, and it was fun to see each FANTASY creature emerge, rounding out the LEAGUE, so to speak. This is a fun category theme, and a great set of theme answers. I particularly like GOBLIN MODE. Thank you, Nate, for this puzzle that was a fantastical way to start my Monday.

    Comments

    1. Props to Enrique for the great title! I was stuck on how to tie my theme together and he came up with this perfect title that tied it all together.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment