February 17, 2023

Title: EXTERIOR DOORS

Constructor: Stella Zawistowski

Editor: Anna Gundlach

Theme Answers:
DOUBLE MAJOR (15A: Pursuit of two sets of degree requirements)
DOMESTIC LABOR (33A: Work of managing a household)
DOING A FAVOR (54A: Helping out)

Theme synopsis: In each theme answer, the word DOOR is split open, and found on the EXTERIOR edges.

Things I learned:
  • DARLENE (40A: Sara Gilbert's role on "The Conners") The Conners is a TV sitcom that is a direct continuation of the show, Roseanne, without the previous show's title character. Sara Gilbert plays the role of DARLENE Conner. I was never a fan of the show Roseanne, and although I remember the show being canceled, I did not know it had then been renamed and continued. (Side note: There's a typo in the puzzle in the spelling of "Conners," which I've corrected here. The correct spelling would not have helped me know this answer!)
  • ELEVEN (43D: Number of players on a soccer team) I know I don't have a lot of sports knowledge (though I am learning a lot about sports from crossword puzzles!), but I was a bit amazed to discover that I had no idea how many players are on a soccer team. I have even been to a professional soccer game; apparently I didn't count the number of players on the field. Now I know that soccer is played by teams of ELEVEN players. Incidentally, this is the same number of players on a football team, a fact I did know.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • MAMA (13A: Baby's first word, often) and DADA (15D: Baby's first word, often) This is a fun clue echo pair.
  • BEN (14A: Spider-Man's uncle) Peter Benjamin Parker was an orphan living with his Uncle BEN and Aunt May when he was bitten by a radioactive spider, giving him the abilities that led to him becoming Spider-Man.
  • DEE (20A: "Pariah" director Rees) The 2011 movie Pariah, written and directed by DEE Rees, is the story of a 17-year-old Black girl coming to terms with her identity as a lesbian. Last year, Pariah was added to the Library of Congress' National Film Registry, which preserves film's considered to be "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."
  • LIAM (31A: One Direction singer Payne) The boy band One Direction - composed of LIAM Payne, Niall Horan, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson - got their start in 2010 on the British singing competition, The X Factor. Since One Direction split up in 2016, LIAM Payne has pursued a solo career.
  • RPG (50A: EverQuest and Final Fantasy XVI genre) RPG stands for role-playing game. Both Everquest and Final Fantasy are video game franchises with multiple titles. Final Fantasy XVI, which I learned about when we saw FINAL FANTASY as a theme answer last August, is scheduled to be released in June of this year.
  • NBA (57A: Org. with a Slam Dunk Contest) NBA holds a Slam Dunk Contest each year during its All-Star Weekend. Winners of the Slam Dunk Contest have included Julius Erving (1976), Michael Jordan (1987 & 1988), and Kobe Bryant (1997).
  • DEL (3D: Drag queen Bianca ___ Rio) I have previously written about Bianca DEL Rio, the winner of season 6 of RuPaul's Drag Race.
  • AMOS (7D: "Ocean to Ocean" singer Tori) "Ocean to Ocean" is the title track from Tori AMOS' 16th studio album, released in 2021.
  • LARSON (22D: "Room" star Brie) Room is a 2015 movie adapted from Emma Donoghue's 2010 novel of the same name. Brie LARSON starred as a young woman who had a child while being held in captivity for seven years, a role for which she won an Academy Award for Best Actress.
  • AARON (44D: Baseball legend Hank) I confidently knew the answer to this sports clue! (As this clue immediately followed the clue for ELEVEN, I was greatly cheered by knowing this.) Hank AARON (1934-2021) began his MLB career with the Milwaukee Braves in 1954, following the team to Atlanta in 1966. He played with the Atlanta Braves until 1974, and ended his MLB career playing for the Milwaukee Brewers. Hank AARON was selected as an MLB All-Star 25 times, and was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982. He holds the MLB record for career runs batted in (2,297). 

    Geography review:

    • RIO (39A: 2016 Olympics city, for short) and REDEEMER (10D: Christ the ___ (huge statue in 39-Across)) The 2016 Summer Olympics and the 2016 Summer Paralympics were held in RIO de Janeiro, Brazil. One of the famous landmarks of RIO de Janeiro, Brazil is "Christ the REDEEMER," an Art Deco statue that is 98 feet high and sits on top of a 26 foot pedestal. The statue is located at the peak of Corcovado mountain, and overlooks RIO de Janeiro. The statue is listed as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.
    Come on in, the DOORS are open! I enjoyed this take on a classic USA Today theme type. In addition to the answers I've highlighted above, I also liked MAJESTIC, WALRUS, ON REPEAT, and DIATRIBE. Thank you, Stella, for this puzzle that was a fabulous way to start my Friday.
    One more thing: I'm feeling an immense amount of gratitude today. Three years ago today, my first crossword puzzle was published. Although I planned on continuing to construct puzzles, I had no idea then, that three years later I would be not only constructing, but blogging about crosswords everyday and editing puzzles as well. Also in the last three years I have gotten to know so many fabulous people in the crossword community. If you're reading this, that community includes you; know that I'm thankful for you!
    My Timehop memory for today

     

    Comments