August 27, 2022

Title: Last Dance

Constructor: Wendy L. Brandes

Editor: Amanda Rafkin

Guest Blogger: Erica Hsiung Wojcik



Theme Answers:
REGULAR FOLK (17A: Ordinary people)
CATCH A BREAK (29A: Finally come into some good luck)
IN FULL SWING (45A: At the peak of activity)
LEMON SQUARE (60A: Tart dessert bar)

Theme synopsis:
The last word in each theme answer completes the phrase "X dance" (folk dance, break dance, swing dance, square dance)

And now a word from our constructor:
Wendy: This puzzle was a fun one to put together.  I loved the positivity in 29-Across.  I thought it would be fun to share my absolute favorite recipe for 60-Across.  I have baked these with my daughter and they are easy and fun to make. 

Many thanks to Erik and Amanda for their support and for their great edits.  A special shoutout goes to Amanda for including WINGSPAN (my new board game obsession) in the clue for 68-Across!

Things I learned:
  • WELSH (1A: ___ corgi (short-legged dog)  Dog breeds always get me! I'm not an animal or a pet person. I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like watching cute animal videos on the internet? I know. I'm sorry.  I did watch seasons 1 & 2 of "The Crown", so I shoulda known this one. 
  • INES (25A: Poet Juana ___ de la Cruz) A poet from the 17th century! A protofeminist! (According to Wikipedia).  Solid clue angle for the crossword grid-friendly INES.
  • Kato (52 A: The Green Hornet's partner) Here's Bruce Lee portraying him in the short-lived 1960s TV series.

Random thoughts and interesting things:

  • REGULAR FOLK (17A: Ordinary people) "Folk" is one of those words that has two plural forms: with and without the s ("folk" and "folks" are both acceptable). I was trying to think of more as I was writing this. I consulted the internet but it's a hard thing to Google. Then I realized there's one in the grid: ELKS! If you know any more, put 'em in the comments!
  •  INSIDE (45D: "Use your ___ voice!") I love evocative clues like this.  Immediately thought of my kids screaming in a museum. Apologies in advance, future museum-goers.
  • NESTS (68A: Homes on Wingspan cards):  I love clues like this! If you know the game Wingspan, it's a fun gimme, and if you don't, the answer is inferable. Also, I agree with Wendy- Wingspan is great.
Geography review:
  • NEPAL (44A: Only country with a nonrectangular flag) I will never remember this fact.
  • IRAN (24D: Country that's the only remaining home of the Asiatic Cheetah) : (

Hi!  Erica here, subbing in for Sally.  I'm a constructor and the moderator of the Expanded Crossword Name Database. Happy to be back on the blog!  Thanks to Wendy for a delightful weekend solve. It has all the features that I come to expect form a USAT puzzle: zingy theme answers, precise cluing, and a buttery smooth solving experience. I particularly like that the 4 theme answers really do capture the most common "X dance" words. I'm sure I could come up with some more examples of dances that are commonly named with the word dance (you'll rarely say waltz dance, for example), but it would take me a while.

The grid shape allows for some nice 6-8 length bonus answers (BIG ASK! GALORE! SPACE AGE!). Nice one, Wendy!  Glad I got to spend some more time with it this morning. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend. Happy Lollapuzoola to those who are participating. I test solved the puzzles and they are fab.


Comments