February 20, 2022

Title: CHAIR ASSEMBLY

Constructor: Zhouqin Burnikel

Editor: Mollie Cowger & Erik Agard

Theme Answers:
I'LL CALL YOU BACK (16A: Let me hang up for a moment to deal with this")
PROSTHETIC ARMS (28A: Artificial upper limbs)
COUNTY SEAT (47A: Local government center)
CHICKEN LEGS (60A: Drumsticks)

Theme synopsis: In the ASSEMBLY of a CHAIR, use the last words of the theme answers: BACK, ARMS, SEAT, LEGS.

Things I learned:
  • HINDI (55A: Narendra Kohli's language) Narendra Kohli was an Indian author whose work had a large impact on HINDI literature. His creation of literary works based on the Puranas (ancient Hindu religious texts) were considered trendsetting. Narendra Kohli died in April 2021 at the age of 81.
  • WET (64A: Just out of an onsen, say) Onsen are Japan's hot springs and the bathing facilities surrounding them.
  • ARIA (1D: Solo for Angel Blue) Soprano Angel Blue opened the Metropolitan Opera's 2019/2020 season in the role of Bess in Porgy and Bess. This role won her a Grammy Award for Best Opera Recording.
  • LSU (63D: Alma mater for Sylvia Fowles) Sylvia Fowles is a professional basketball player for WNBA's Minnesota Lynx. As of 2020, she is the WNBA's career rebound leader. In 2021 she was named the WNBA's Defensive Player of the Year (her fourth time to achieve that honor). Sylvia Fowles attended Louisiana State University (LSU) from 2004-2008.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • KAI (26A: Name that means "ocean" in Hawaiian) This meaning makes KAI an apt name for Hawaiian surfer KAI Lenny
  • ONE (35A: Tile value of O or R in Scrabble) I am here for all of the Scrabble clues! Scrabble and I go way back to a time before I was born. When my mom was pregnant with me, my due date was August 1. On August 1, my mom and dad played Scrabble. They continued to play Scrabble every night until August 20. For some reason, they did not play that night, and that was the night I chose to make my appearance. As you can imagine, I have heard this story many times. I told my parents I waited to be born because I was enjoying the games. Is it any wonder that I enjoy Scrabble?
  • AGED (51A: Like some brownish vodkas) Wood-AGED vodka is indeed brownish in color, confusing those familiar with the definition of vodka as a colorless, flavorless, odorless liquor. 
  • ELI (59A: "Gossip Girl" actor Brown) ELI Brown plays the role of Otto "Obie" Bergmann IV on the TV series Gossip Girl.
  • RABE (9D: Broccoli ___ (bitter green veggie)) Also known as rapini, broccoli RABE has buds that resemble broccoli. The buds do not grow in a large head as broccoli does, however. Broccoli RABE is related to turnips and bok choy.
  • AYESHA (17D: "The Seasoned Life" chef Curry) AYESHA Curry's cookbook, The Seasoned Life: Food, Family, Faith, and the Joy of Eating Well was published in 2016. She also hosted a show on The Food Network, AYESHA's Home Cooking.
  • STICKY (45D: Like bubble gum and molasses) and CHEWY (47D: Like tapioca noodles) I enjoyed this STICKY, CHEWY pair.

    Geography review:

    • KOREA (65A: Three Kingdoms of ___) From 57 BCE to 668 CE, the Korean peninsula and part of Manchuria was divided into the kingdoms of Goguryeo, Baekje, and Silla, known as the Three Kingdoms of KOREA. The name Samhan is also used to refer to the Three Kingdoms of KOREA.
    • ALASKA (10D: U.S. state with the longest coastline) ALASKA has 6,640 miles of coastline, far ahead of the state with the second-longest coastline - Florida with 1,350 miles of coastline. ALASKA also has the most islands of any state - 2,670.
    • PINE (28D: State tree of Maine) One of Maine's nicknames is "The PINE Tree State." The Eastern white PINE is Maine's state tree. Over 80% of the state is forested.
    You've probably heard of Build-A-Bear; today's puzzle theme is Build-A-CHAIR. I enjoyed this make-your-own-furniture theme. In addition to the theme, I liked TALL ORDER and AT LAST. No RANT from me today. This puzzle was a great way to begin my Sunday.

    Comments