January 8, 2022

Title: DRIFTWOOD

Constructor: Amanda Rafkin

Editor: Amanda Rafkin

Theme Answers:
WOODWIND SECTION (19A:Orchestra area with clarinets and flutes)
HOLLYWOOD ENDING (37A: Unrealistically happy ending)
HUNDRED ACRE WOOD (52A: Home for Pooh and friends)

Theme synopsis: The word WOOD appears in a different location in each theme answer (start, middle, end). Looking at the grid, the WOOD DRIFTS down and from left to right.

Things I learned:
  • WANG (8A: Classical pianist Yuja) Yuja WANG has been playing piano since she was six years old. By the time she was in her twenties, she was touring all over the world, including performing at Carnegie Hall in 2012 at the age of 25. (I have been playing piano since I was seven, and can guarantee I will never perform at Carnegie Hall.) Yuja WANG, was born in Beijing, studied in China, Canada and Philadelphia, and now lives in New York City. I enjoyed looking through Yuja WANG's Twitter feed, reading her posts, looking at the photos, and watching clips of her play.
Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • SKA (1A: Less Than Jake genre) At first I had this answer in the "Things I Learned" section, but then I vaguely recalled writing about Less Than Jake before. Indeed, the SKA band Less Than Jake was one of the groups that participated in the 1998 SKA Against Racism Tour that I learned about from the July 14, 2021 puzzle.
  • ANYA (16A: Actress Taylor-Joy) ANYA Taylor-Joy played the title role in the 2020 movie, Emma, based on the 1815 Jane Austen novel of the same name. She also played the main character, Beth Harmon, in the 2020 Netflix series, The Queen's Gambit. ANYA Taylor-Joy is voicing Princess Peach for an upcoming Mario movie that is set to be released at the end of this year. That is quite the range of characters.
  • FORT (17A: Construction made of pillows and blankets) I love a good blanket FORT. This clue evoked many fond memories of building FORTS with my kids out of our couch cushions and a pile of blankets. This was a fun and cozy way to clue FORT.
  • UPON (5D: "Once ___ a One More Time" (Britney Spears jukebox musical)) The musical Once UPON a One More Time uses 23 songs recorded by Britney Spears to tell a story of Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and other fairy-tale characters experiencing a feminist awakening. (For example, an unfaithful Prince Charming sings, "Oops...I Did It Again" - ha!) The opening of the musical was delayed because of the COVID pandemic. It premiered in November 2021 in Washington, D.C. I'm a fan of musicals, and I particularly enjoy jukebox musicals - those featuring songs of a particular artist or group. I hope I get to see Once UPON a One More Time someday.
  • WIMPY (20D: "Diary of a ___ Kid") Diary of a WIMPY Kid is a book series by Jeff Kinney. So far the series contains 16 books, some of which have been adapted into movies. The series was even adapted into a musical in 2016. 
  • ELISE (21D: Tony winner Renee ___ Goldsberry) Always happy to see Renee ELISE Goldsberry in the puzzle. She won a 2016 Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical for her portrayal of Angelica Schuyler in Hamilton
  • KOOL-AID MAN (27D: Drink mascot who bursts through walls shouting "Oh yeah!") Oh, yeah, it's KOOL-AID MAN! This clue/answer made me smile. I haven't had KOOL-AID for years, but I certainly remember the commercials. Today I learned that KOOL-AID was invented in Hastings, Nebraska by Edwin Perkins in 1927. In fact, in 1998 the state of Nebraska made KOOL-AID its official state beverage
  • WOO (35D: Pursue romantically) and YES (66A: "Of COURSE I'll marry you!") and I DO (36D: Tying the knot words) and HOLLYWOOD ENDING (37A: Unrealistically happy ending) This puzzle is telling us a sweet, romantic story, complete with a HOLLYWOOD ENDING.
  • OTOE (56D: Chiwere speaker, maybe) The Chiwere Language was originally spoken by the OTOE, Iowa, and Missouria peoples.
I enjoyed the visual effect today of the WOOD aDRIFT in the puzzle. Three lovely grid-spanning theme entries were a treat as well. So much to like in this puzzle, including ACHOO and PRIZE MONEY. ANYONE ELSE have absolutely no ANGST solving this puzzle, only a HOLLYWOOD ENDING? This was a delightful way to begin my Saturday.

Comments