October 20, 2020

Title: IT'S ALL IN THE PAST

Constructor: Gail Grabowski

Editor: Erik Agard

Theme Answers:
PAYING GUEST (20A: Hotel customer, e.g.)
PACKING LIST (58A: Vacation preparation aid)
PADDED VEST (10D: Layering garment, perhaps)
PARCEL POST (29D: Option for mailing packages)

Theme synopsis: Each theme answer begins with PA- and ends with -ST. Therefore, each theme answer is IN THE word PAST.

Things I learned:
  • OMAR (17A: Poet Luis ___ Salinas) Luis OMAR Salinas has been called "one of the founding fathers of Chicano poetry in America." His first published collection of poetry, published in 1970, was titled Crazy Gypsy
  • OWE (9D: "I ___ You Nothing" (Seinabo Sey song)) Seinabo Sey is a Swedish singer whose 2013 debut song, "Younger," was popular in many countries. "I OWE You Nothing" is a single from her 2018 album, I'm a Dream. This is an example of cluing a common word in a way that may introduce some solvers to new things. Although I was not familiar with this song or Seinabo Sey, the word OWE is inferable in the clue. And now I've learned about a new-to-me singer. (And I am listening to her music on Spotify at the moment!)
Random thoughts and interesting things:
  • PACKING LIST (58A: Vacation preparation aid) I am looking forward to the day when I need a PACKING LIST again.
  • BOOM (64A: Period of prosperity) I had BOON at first, and since I filled in 65D from across answers, I didn't notice that NRS didn't make sense! This resulted in an error message when I finished filling in the puzzle. 
  • DORITO (4D: Snack chip with a flavor called Cool American in some countries) Because ranch dressing is less popular in other countries than it is in the United States, the "Cool Ranch" variety of DORITOs are marketed as "Cool Original" in the U.K., and "Cool American" in other European countries. It's an interesting marketing choice. Would you eat a "Cool American?" (Setting aside the fact that many Europeans don't think Americans are cool at the moment...)
  • MRS (65D: Bride's new title, perhaps) It's a small thing, but I appreciate the inclusion of the word "perhaps" in this clue as a recognition that not all brides use the title MRS. Personally, I always said MRS. Hoelscher was my mother-IN-LAW. After I'd been married six years, I got my doctorate, and replaced MRS. with Dr., but still, I just prefer Sally.

    Geography review:
    • TAR (24A: La Brea ___ Pits) Hancock Park in Los Angeles, California was formed around the La Brea TAR Pits. For tens of thousands of years, natural asphalt has seeped up from the ground in this area.
    • MAINE (66A: Acadia National Park state) Acadia National Park was the first national park east of the Mississippi River. Originally named Lafayette National Park, it was established as a national park in 1919, and renamed Acadia in 1929. The park includes Cadillac Mountain, the tallest mountain on the eastern coastline. My husband and I are keeping track of the National Parks we have visited. When I am able to utilize my PACKING LIST to prepare for vacations again, Acadia National Park is on the list of destinations.
    • ERIE (28D: Pennsylvania city on a Great Lake) ERIE, Pennsylvania won the All-America City Award in 1972. The award is given by the National Civic League, and "recognizes communities that leverage civic engagement, collaboration, inclusiveness and innovation to successfully address local issues." ERIE is on the south shore of Lake ERIE, and is the county seat of ERIE County. This is the fourth appearance of ERIE in the crossword in October. This means October is tied with August and September for ERIE sightings. With 11 days remaining in October, will it be able to pull ahead? Stay tuned.
    Placing two theme answers horizontal and two vertical leaves a nice open area in the center of the puzzle unconstrained by theme answers. This enables smooth fill, which this puzzle has. I like the stair step pattern of the black squares in the middle of the puzzle. It's a nice visual. This puzzle was an enjoyable start to my Tuesday morning.

    Comments