June 9, 2020

Title: BRAVING THE ELEMENTS
Constructor: Martha Kimes
Editor: Erik Agard

Theme Answers:

SCORCHED-EARTH (19A: Win-at-any-cost)
DUMPSTER FIRE (27A: Disastrous situation)
COCONUT WATER (45A: Beverage from a tropical fruit)
COMPRESSED AIR (55A: Keyboard cleaner)

Theme synopsis: Ancient Greek philosophers proposed that all matter consisted of the four elements found at the end of today’s theme answers: EARTH, FIRE, WATER, and AIR. Other ancient cultures in Persia, Babylonia, Japan, Tibet, and India had similar lists.


Things I learned:

  •  SCORCHED-EARTH (19A: Win-at-any-cost) Scorched-earth was a new phrase to me. Merriam Webster defines it as “directed toward victory or supremacy at all costs.” It’s also defined as relating to a military policy of widespread and deliberate destruction of property. In the searching I did, it seems the military use of the term seems to be the more widespread use of the term. This is rather bleak, and I’m glad the choice was made to clue it in a not-necessarily-military way. I also discovered there are a couple of books, a couple of movies, a couple of video games and a song from Avatar titled Scorched Earth.
  •  ESPN (68A: Network that Antonietta Collins appears on) Antonietta “Toni” Collins is a sportscaster currently working for ESPN as an anchor for SportsCenter. Sports are not my forte, and so it’s not surprising that I wasn’t familiar with Antonietta Collins. One of the things I enjoy about the USA Today crossword is that it introduces me to names of people who would not normally cross my path. In my research, I also discovered that Antonietta Collins is a graduate of Mount Union College in Alliance, Ohio. My dad was also a Mount Union alum, so that made me smile.
  •  CHICO (32D: Home to a California State University Campus) I’d never heard of Chico, California, though when I looked up its location I discovered it’s only 46 miles from where I was born. (Shout out to Yuba City, California!) Since my family moved to the Midwest when I was 8 months old, I’m going to cut myself some slack for not knowing this California city. The Chico campus is the second oldest campus in the California State University system. 

 

Random thoughts and interesting things:

  • DUMPSTER FIRE (27A: Disastrous situation) Dumpster fire is such an evocative phrase. It made me smile to uncover it in the puzzle.
  • ATE (11D: Had shakshuka, say) I enjoy it when constructors take a common word and clue it in a fun way. Shakshuka (also spelled shakshouka) is a Middle Eastern dish traditionally served in a cast iron pan. Eggs are poached in a sauce of tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, and spices.
  • LAPS (1D: Spots for cats) My cat, Willow, definitely thinks she belongs in my lap. In fact, she’s in my lap at the moment helping me write.
  • TEA (40D: It can be sipped or spilled) Fun clue!
  • DATED (53D: Went out with) and DUE (61D: Word before “date” or “diligence”) I had already filled in DATED at 53D when I encountered the word “date” in the 61D clue. For a moment it made me wonder if dated was incorrect.
  •  SEA (43A: “…two if by ___) and ONE (50A: “___if by land…”) This was an enjoyable clue pairing.

An enjoyable puzzle - workable theme, inclusive clueing, and solid fill. 

Comments