June 18, 2020

Title: JUST MY TYPE

Constructor: Evan Kalish

Editor: Erik Agard



Theme Answers:

TIME’S A WASTING (20A: “Let’s get moving!”)

NEW MANAGEMENT (39A: Different ownership)

ROMAN NUMERALS (59A: Something popes and Super Bowls have in common)


Theme synopsis: Taken together, the first words of the theme answers are a type of font, TIMES NEW ROMAN. This serif font was commissioned by the British newspaper, The Times, in 1931. This paragraph is in TIMES NEW ROMAN. I considered making today's entire post in TIMES NEW ROMAN, but out of consideration for Evan, I limited myself to this paragraph.

And now a word from our constructor:

Evan: This puzzle was originally conceived as "Not My Type," inspired by my disdain for the font suggested by the three theme answers. I enjoyed getting a reference to my favorite hobby at 1-Down, to Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me at 67-Across, as well as the shout-outs at 11- and 35-Down!


Things I learned:

  • ESPN (46A: Diana Russini’s network) Diana Rossini is a sports journalist for ESPN on NFL Live.
  • DUNST (50A: “On Becoming a God in Central Florida” star Kirsten) I am familiar with Kirsten DUNST, but not her new TV series. On Becoming a God in Central Florida is a dark comedy TV series on Showtime. DUNST plays the lead role of Krystal Stubbs on the show.

Random thoughts and interesting things:

  • PAULA (67A: Comedian Poundstone) PAULA Poundstone is a comedian and author. She is a frequent guest on NPR’s Wait, Wait...Don’t Tell Me, and hosts the podcast Nobody Listens to Paula Poundstone. My husband and I save up episodes of Wait, Wait...Don’t Tell Me and listen to them when we are driving long distances. (It takes four Wait, Wait... episodes to get from our house to visit our daughter in Chicago.) PAULA Poundstone is my husband’s favorite panelist on the show. We were fortunate enough to see her stand-up show live a year ago. 
  • ISLAM (5D: Zakat is one of its pillars) Zakat, or almsgiving, is one of the Five Pillars, or ritual obligations of ISLAM. 
  • LANGSTON (11D: Hughes who wrote “I, Too”) LANGSTON Hughes was a poet, social activist, and novelist. He wrote the poem “I, Too” in 1925. The poem remains relevant. Black Lives Matter.

I, too, sing America

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I’ll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody’ll dare
Say to me
“Eat in the kitchen,”
Then.

Besides,
They’ll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed -

I, too, am America
  • EARTHA (35D: Kitt who said, “A man comes into my life and I have to compromise? You must think about that one again”) EARTHA Kitt was a singer and actress. Many people know her for the Christmas song, “Santa Baby.” EARTHA Kitt was an activist for multiple social causes. In 1966 she established the Kittsville Youth Foundation, a chartered and non-profit organization for underprivileged youths in L.A. She was a vocal advocate for LGBTQ rights and appeared at many LGBTQ fundraisers.
  • SHOW ME (21D: “I would like to see it”) I grew up in the “SHOW ME State” of Missouri, so this one made me smile.
  • POSTAL (1D: The “P” of USPS) One of the things I enjoy about working crossword puzzles from a variety of constructors is seeing the personality of the constructors come across in their puzzles. Although I haven’t met Evan in person (yet), I know from Twitter that he has visited over 10,000 post offices. It was fun to see this answer and clue in his puzzle.
Geography Review
  • OAHU (14A Island where Queen Liliuokalani was born) OAHU is the third-largest of the Hawaiian islands. OAHU’s three vowels leads to it making frequent crossword appearances. Queen Lili’uokalani was the last sovereign monarch of the Hawaiian Kingdom. Her reign ended with the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom in 1893.
  • ODESSA (25A: City name in Texas and Ukraine) ODESSA is the third most populous city of Ukraine. ODESSA, Texas is the 29th most populous city in Texas.
  • UAE (Abu Dhabi’s country for short) It was just three days ago that ABU Dhabi was an answer in the puzzle. Today it’s our clue. Abu Dhabi is the second largest city in the UAE, the United Arab Emirates.
A lot of enjoyable entries in today’s puzzle. I thought it was creative to use a font as the theme for a puzzle. 

Comments

  1. What a delight to stumble into your blog this morning. I'm relieved that someone is making this and am greatly enjoying your takes on the puzzles.

    This means I can stop trying to do a daily review too, but if you want someone to fill in now and then, consider giving me a shout.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment