June 16, 2020

Title: ENTRY FORMS

Constructor: Patrick Jordan

Editor: Erik Agard


Theme Answers:

CHEESE LOG (16A: Oblong dairy-based appetizer)

CASH REGISTER (25A: Checkout counter machine)

CINNAMON ROLL (42A: Bun eaten with chili)

HIT RECORD (57A: Musical success)


Theme synopsis: The last word of each theme answer is a synonym for an ENTRY FORM: LOG, REGISTER, ROLL, RECORD. I amused myself by imagining each theme answer as a form - a CHEESE LOG as a form for entering CHEESE consumption, etc. I'm easily amused, apparently.

 

Things I learned:

  • ROLE (6D: Mary Birchbark, for Tantoo Cardinal) Rose Marie "Tantoo" Cardinal is an actress of Cree and Métis descent. She grew up in Alberta, Canada. Her grandmother nicknamed her "Tantoo" after reading the word on the label of a mosquito repellent they used before picking blueberries. As the clue indicates, Tantoo Cardinal played the role of Mary Birchbark in the movie Falls Around Her. The movie tells the story of an internationally famous First Nations musician and was filmed on the Atikameksheng Anishnawbek First Nation reserve near Sudbury, Ontario.
  • HOPI (32D: Like noqkwivi) Noqkwivi is a stew made of hominy, lamb, and spices.
  • ALONE (47D: "I'm not lonely, I'm ___ /And I'm holy by my own" (Jamila Woods)) Jamila Woods is a singer, songwriter and poet. Her work focuses on Black identity, Black feminism, and Black ancestry. Self-love is a recurring theme in her work. I think this quote is lovely and I will be seeking out Jamila Woods' work.

Random thoughts and interesting things:

  • ARAB (5A: ___ League) The ARAB League is formally known as the League of Arab States. It is an organization of states or countries in Western Asia and Africa with the goal of improved relations and collaboration. The ARAB League was founded in 1945 with six initial members. There are currently 22 member states in the Arab League.
  • CINNAMON ROLL (42A: Bun eaten with chili) In some midwest states, including Nebraska and Iowa, chili and CINNAMON ROLLs are common menu pairings. Some trace the origin of this pairing to school cafeterias. My husband, who is a native Iowan, does not recall ever having chili and a CINNAMON ROLL for school lunch. Apparently some people dunk their CINNAMON ROLL in their chili (or even pour the chili over the CINNAMON ROLL), while others maintain the CINNAMON ROLL is eaten as dessert once the chili is finished. 

Straightforward, enjoyable puzzle. I figured out the theme about halfway through, so that made me feel accomplished.


A note about comments on the blog: If you have tried to leave a comment and been unsuccessful, know that you aren't alone! This appears to be a problem with blogspot and certain browsers. I'm in the process of figuring out a solution to this issue. Thank you for your patience as the blog evolves and I conquer all the technical things.

Comments